To Build or Buy: Brew Master

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Thinking about buying Brew-Magic by Sabco , I was wanting to build the exact same thing, my question is, within reason how much could I save to get the same result if I build it myself, including the computer pumps, temperature controls, automation etc.

Thanks guys!

Don't do it to save money but to learn about the process. If you build it yourself and have to ask then you likely won't save money and there's a good chance that you won't get something identical as what Sabco and others (like the B3 setups) have is years of refinement/experience.

Now someone people will chime in here and say that they could save a ton of cash if they built the exact same thing themselves. Probably true, but that's them. They may be on their third or forth setup. They also wouldn't be asking the question you asked above either however.

Moral of the story: If you have to ask if you could save by building yourself, it means that you don't know what's involved so it's pretty much a guarantee that it'll take you quite some time and nearly as much $$$ to get something identical (if even possible assuming you have the skills required).

I'm building a high end setup from scratch myself. It'll cost me a lot. Probably not that much less than a complete Sabco setup, but I'm doing it because I'm trying to learn about the process, not because I'm trying to save $$$. (Mine's also 100% electric with more expensive Blichmann kettles too).

Just my 2 cents.

Kal

Kal,
Thanks, that is more of my line of thought. I just rather ask and be sure, instead of spend a lot of money just to learn that I could have done something equally effective for a lot less money. I met a guy on sabco's forum that has a setup a few hours away from me, we are going to brew together soon so I can play with it first hand.

Bring your digital camera, tape measure, big note pad and pencils.
Copy and meaure everything that your friends Sabco has. If your handy, have the equipment to cut and weld you can build you own frame and keggles. You may want to built the frame a little differently to match the type of pots or keggles that fit your needs. Their labor, shipping and profits from their equipment alone you should save enough money to be spent on the type of control system, pumps and materials to build your own system. Your time and labors free but a learning experience. As stated above you will know your system better. They are in business to make a profit called your money especially from those that can not build, weld or have the equipment to build. I like my money where it is.

Definitely take a lot of pictures. You'll probably be back a dozen times to take a look at it even if you measure and look at everything. :)

At BrewBeemer: Of course Sabco's doing it for a profit. They wouldn't still be in business if there wasn't a profit. Nothing wrong with trying to save money but someone shouldn't feel bad about rewarding a company's good work with profit that they can roll back into new products either. Sabco's got some great designs and they've obviously spent years making protypes and revisions to their design. They don't do that for free.

Kal

I am not very mechanical at all, and I don't have the time or the resources to build my own system. So I saved up and I bought the BrewMagic from Sabco. It is a great setup, I have been brewing on it for 2 years and I finally have all my brew day processes dialed in.

There is a learning curve with every setup! Buy it or build it, you will still have to get comfprtable brewing with it.

Good Luck

Eastside...

p.s. getting to see a BM in action is an awesome opportunity, have fun!

I bought.

I just don't have the time for such a big project but, I suggest you consider this;

1.) Do you have the tools available for a project like this? To buy those add up quickly. You are talking welders, cutters, grinders, clamps, drils, etc....

I have lots of tools but, not enough for that level of build.

2.) Are you in a "place" where you can devote the time needed to build?

This ain't no weekender project.

It's likely you could save cash on DIY provided you don't have to buy or rent tools.

I put my rig together after getting Lonnie's Brutus plans and scouring the world wide interweb for pics and whatnot. I don't weld or fabricate, I'm not real handy and not an engineer and basically had to learn everything as I went, but I'm a quick study. I had never done anything like this before so much of it was learning from scratch.

The upshot is that I outsourced welding the frame but did everything else myself. I now have a modified and kinda-self designed oversized single tier rig with Brutus-style automation that took me about 3 months from start to finish and it works just the way I want. All together, I ended up spending about $1,500 or so less than a B3 or Sabco, but - I went Blichman on the pots, so that's a bit more $ and I also overbuilt the frame somewhat for peace of mind and expandability. My system isn't as automated as a commercial rig and I'm not HERMS or anything but because I put it together, I know I can modify it and built it specifically with the idea of tinkering down the road. Future plans include replacing the burners on the MLT and HLT with electric heat exchangers.

I'd definately recommend building your own if you are not on a tight schedule (When I looked into the B3s they took about 7 weeks to delivery and I think the Sabco's are about the same, by the way). The design and assembly of the rig was EXTREMELY educational and really gets you noodling on your brew process and brewing in general. It forces you to learn and understand the process on a different level. That said, if I move or something and have to sell mine, I'd probably buy a B3 or something and just go about modifying it at this point if I felt the urge, but only because I already built one and figure I basically understand what's going on.

Basically, I'd build one if time isn't a factor and you want to wrap your cranium around the process and geek out a bit. You probably won't really save much money but, like I said, the learning process is pretty valuable.

I noticed from another thread that you're just getting into all grain now. Seriously, I suggest you start off with a converted cooler mashtun and a big ol' kettle on an outdoor cooker. After a dozen batches, you'll have a much better idea of what you want to do.

I know what I want to do :) I have done extensive research, and want the precise control offered by all grain, and to be able to eliminate as many factors from production variables as possible, that's the main reason I wanted a closed, automated system. Pretty sure I will be getting a Sabco, Bob there has been more than helpful and took care of the shipping + a nice discount. I do appreciate the thought though, it IS a lot of money still, but I want to do this right the first time.

Back