AHS or MoreBeer! Gift Certificate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, all. So, if my family offers the gift of homebrewing equipment this holiday season, where should I direct them to get the gift certificate from? MoreBeer or Austing Homebrew Supply? Which has the better bang for the buck, in your opinion?

I'd say AHS due to fast and cheap shipping and decent customer service. However, their shipping dept leaves a little to be desired. Out of 10 orders in the last 3 months I have had minor items missing on 4 of them. They do take care of it though. No experience with morebeer, but have heard good things.

I would recommend Austin Homebrew Supply. I have really enjoyed all the experiences I had with them and there customer service is top notch.

I have sent emails asking questions and they get right back to you with very good advice. I haven't had any problems with their shipping and I really love the care they use in packaging their materials.

My $.02

Morebeer is cheaper for ingredients, but shipping at AHS is cheaper. AHS also has a better selection, Morebeer seems to be out of stock on a lot of stuff a lot of the time.

Morebeer is cheaper for ingredients, but shipping at AHS is cheaper. AHS also has a better selection, Morebeer seems to be out of stock on a lot of stuff a lot of the time.

True, although shipping at MoreBeer is free for orders over $59, I believe. AHS does have great kits, and yes, I have noticed some inventory issues at MoreBeer.

I hate paying shiipping if I can avoid it at all. $59 is easy as heck to spend in one shop. This is why I only order from morebeer. Cheaper ingredients + 0 shipping means more batches for me. I just ordered enough grain (44 lbs) plus hops (8 oz) for four batches for $68.

If you've got a grain mill then moreebeer. Paying extra for the milling negates the savings.

If not then get it from AHS.

You'll be happy with either but for the most part AHS is cheaper.

I think a grain mill will be my first purchase. Without a grain mill, I'm finding, you can't order in bulk, it's harder to improvise, and you have to rush a bit to brew...once that bag of milled grain arrives, I don't like to let it sit around for long.

I am going through all of our ingredients and lowing most of the prices. This will also greatly reduce the price of our recipe kits. These price changes will take several days so bear with me. At that point it should be no question.

Forrest

Aha! I knew typing out "Austin Homebrew Supply" would get a response. I think HBT.com is the unofficial AHS forum, and for good reason.

Have bought kits from both...but the customer service from AHS (heck the man answers questions on the forum....) is top notch. I've talked to 'em on the phone and they're just as helpful.....

I am going through all of our ingredients and lowing most of the prices. This will also greatly reduce the price of our recipe kits. These price changes will take several days so bear with me. At that point it should be no question.

Forrest

Is this a christmas gift for us then? The low low prices?
My neighbors keep wondering why I sit on my porch waiting for packages to come.

I ordered a beer kit (#4) from Morebeer and love the products, but I wish customer service was better. Forrest, I'm glad to see AHB is lower their prices, b/c so far that is the main reason I have not yet ordered from you. Selection seems great and I hear great things about the customer service. Look for an order from me soon!

I do not think you could wrong with either one. I can tell you I did have a problem with an O2 regulator after about 4 months of having it the thing stopped working. One call to Chris Graham at B3 took care of it and he sent me a brand new one plus they support the BN.

Id get the B3 certificates... in excess of $59. FREE shipping at that point, and thier ingredients are substantially cheaper, so I can get more out of my gift. But, I am not rich, so that stuff matters to me!:D

I would first source what it is you intend to buy with the gift card. If you want a mill first, then ask them to contribute toward your mill fund, or have them buy it for you. If you want X, see who has that and get that gift cert.

For me, I would go B3, but that is just where the things I need are now.... Both are great suppliers.

I live only 40 minutes from B3 (Concord store) and have found them to always be helpful. I happen to be there today to pick up a brewing kit for this weekend and they were very helpful. I guess i'm lucky that i don't have to deal with internet ordering.

Even more lucky is that i will plan my daily work schedules so that i'm near the store every now and then.... company truck and gas..... priceless ;)

I know it wasn't one from your question, But I always have to recommend Northern Brewer. They have cheap flat rate shipping and good customer service. And their prices are great.

I think AHS Customer Service is great and the selection is awesome. I think I will always use them cuz of their great recipes that I can trust, however I used to love them more when they would ship same day as when I put the order in....my past few orders have take 2+ days to ship out

I just hired 3 new people in the shipping department so the orders will be shipping out much faster. I am looking at all of the prices and making adjustments. We should have the best delivered price as soon as I make adjustments.

Forrest

Correction Austin, I did not say that you had to be rich to shop at AHS. My point was, if I am buying ingredients for a couple recipes, and there is a $20 difference between my LHBS, NB, MDW, B3, AHS etc... since I am not rich, saving $20 makes a difference to me. If I were a millionaire, Id prolly go in alphabetical order.

If your post was referencing what I had stated, it was incorrect, that is not what I said. It is a sensationalized version of it however.

Back