Anyone have this mini-lathe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try Enco if you are on a budget. My throw away tools are from HF. I would never buy anything from HF that I would use to try to make a living...meh, maybe shoprags. I will not carry on about their pneumatic tools.

I have purchased many tools from Enco. Much of the items are from factories overseas. I would say that the quality is much better than HF.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=501&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=110-0800

If you so buy HF, don't skimp on the warranty or insurance.

If you intend to cut stainless, find a tool distributor near you and cozy up to them. You don't want to burn through tools and harden your workpiece. The correct tool for the job can last a long time.

I was looking at one of the lathe's they put up on ebray... Wanted to know the warranty on it... 30 frakin days... :eek: No way am I dropping over $500 on a piece of machinery with a frakin 30 day warranty on it. My P-C drill press has a 3 YEAR warranty on it.

99% chance I'll end up with the Grizzly lathe at this point. Unless I can find a solid [used] one before then. With what I've been seeing in the listings, that's probably not going to happen.

I'm already planning on getting carbide tooling for use with the lathe. Probably start off with two of each of the tools I think I'll use more. That way when one wears, I have a spare already. Or I'll just get the ones that use the replaceable inserts. Have a full set of spare inserts on hand for when I need to change them (doubt I'll ever go through them all before being able to order more up).

I am looking at threading a piece of 1/2" pipe both inside at one end (I can use my tap for that) and on the outside at the other. This is so I can get a fake suppressor and use it as a tap handle. :rockin: Just need 3/8"-16 inside it and 1/2"-28 on the outside (opposite ends).

If you don't intend to use it for generating income, go with the most affordable. I'm sure you understand that a 30 day warranty is somewhat justifiable if the product quality is good. There are plenty of customers that purchase machinery with no real clue on how to use it. KEEERASHHHHH!!!! Personally, one year warranty is the least I would expect. I agree with you on the ENCO brand. I didn't get that far in reading.

FWIW--A good friend of mine (hobbyist) purchased the HF lathe and was happy with it. He only cuts AL and low carbon steel on it.

Have fun with it! My best times in the shop are when I'm making something for my brewing equipment/accessories. Brings back the joy of cutting metal.

If you don't intend to use it for generating income, go with the most affordable. I'm sure you understand that a 30 day warranty is somewhat justifiable if the product quality is good. There are plenty of customers that purchase machinery with no real clue on how to use it. KEEERASHHHHH!!!! Personally, one year warranty is the least I would expect. I agree with you on the ENCO brand. I didn't get that far in reading.

FWIW--A good friend of mine (hobbyist) purchased the HF lathe and was happy with it. He only cuts AL and low carbon steel on it.

Have fun with it! My best times in the shop are when I'm making something for my brewing equipment/accessories. Brings back the joy of cutting metal.

I've done a good amount of metal working so far. I know enough to not bugger the machine. IMO, if they can't stand behind the machine for at least a full year, I don't want it. I plan on putting it to good use (correctly used). I plan on mounting it to a tool stand, so it won't fall over on it's own (or get pushed over).

With working with stainless, I want to be sure it's going to hold up. The Grizzly lathe has a 3/4hp (560W) motor in it. I've been dismissing those with 400w motors in them.

I figure that once I get my prototype made, as well as a few more for testing, I'll be able to see how well this will do (the item). IF I can sell it (and make money at it) then I'll upgrade the machinery as it makes sense. Otherwise, I'll just do it on the small scale and more for myself. At least I won't be out thousands of dollars from getting far more machinery than I'll need. I might even farm some of the machine work to a shop in the area, until I can get the tooling at home. Especially if they can make me items for less than I can buy them for. :D

Hey guys thanks for the reminder that I need to get off my lazy butt and finish a small skinner I am almost done with. CPM 154, hand rubbed to 800, natural canvas micarta scales. Did my own HT too.

Anyhoo... Back on track get the tools with the inserts. Way easier than having to stop and remove a tool bit to sharpen on the belt grinder (if you got one if those).

Hey guys thanks for the reminder that I need to get off my lazy butt and finish a small skinner I am almost done with. CPM 154, hand rubbed to 800, natural canvas micarta scales. Did my own HT too.

Anyhoo... Back on track get the tools with the inserts. Way easier than having to stop and remove a tool bit to sharpen on the belt grinder (if you got one if those).

No belt grinder anymore. Had one for a while and might get one again, but not right now.

I know Grizzly has two different sets of those, that will work with the 7x12 lathe. Not sure which I'll go with yet.

Back