Bittering hops - finishing hops mix-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
Made an English Pale Ale from a kit. It came with 1 oz of Perle Hops (Bittering) and 1-1/2 oz of Willamette Hops (finishing). Well....I got them mixed. Didn't notice it until I went to add the finishing hops for the last 5 minutes and discovered my mix-up. So I figured "Oh Well" and through in the bittering hops for the last 5 minutes. Must have been the 4 or 5 brews I had during the brewing process.

I'm sure it will be fine. My question is - what kind of hop taste can I expect?

Perle has a little higher AA%, but they can typically be used for bittering or aroma. I think there won't be too big of a difference, when I put it into promash the IBUs went from 46 to 40. You never know, you might end up with a better beer!

Basically all hops can be used for bittering, flavoring or aroma, but you have to know when to use them.

As far as your brew is concerned the outcome really depends on the AA % of the hops.

Can you supply us with that info? :confused:

The hops I used for bittering were 4.1% and the hops I used for finishing were 7.5%

Bills Brew said:
The hops I used for bittering were 4.1% and the hops I used for finishing were 7.5%
OK, so instead of using 7.5 for bittering you actually used 6.15 (1.5 oz of 4.1).

It's not too far off. I will be a little less bitter with a hoppy aftertaste than expected.

Quit worrying. Sounds like it'll be OK. :D

Back