First time grower (?) question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
So I have planted three rhizomes (cascade, centennial, and chinook), the three C's I suppose. Anyways, it has been one week since I planted, when today I asked myself how long it actually takes for bines to start showing. Well I didnt have an answer for myself, so now I am asking the wonderful minds at HBT. Approx how long, post-planting, will signs of growth become evident? I am not being impatient, just curious. Maybe I should mention that I am growing in Northern California. Thanks in advance.

I'm in nor-cal too. It depends how warm the soil is and how fresh the rhizomes are. Potted plants will sprout faster than ones planted in soil.

I got mine the week before easter and planted them in the ground right away. After this week's heatwave my first bine came up two days ago. Now, of my 10 rhizomes i have 3 popping out of the ground.

In short, 1-4 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if you have sprouts before this heat wave is over though.

good luck, this is my first year too so I was just as anxious as you.

First time grower, too. It's been about a week since I planted in pots. I've yet to see anything but the rhizomes were starting to push out little bine sprouts while they were in baggies so I know they're alive.

And I'm just over the hill from you, ffire5 :D

i planted 2 cascade and one magnum this year (growing hops for the first time), magnum broke the ground 2 weeks after planting, cascade is still underground (24 days now)

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. Personal preference aside, this heat wave is doing wonders for the rest of my vegetative exploits. I tried planting a nugget hop plant I got from a local nursery last. As soon as put it in the ground it seemed to die. Anyways, walked outside yesterday and it is already taller than me!!!!

Thanks again.

Back