Is a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebou4860

Reaction score
I see these cheap all the time on CL.
Are they big enough for a couple cornies and CO2?
Would I need to build a collar for it?

I have an 8 cu foot, you will want that or slightly larger

I'm always looking for a chest freezer for lagering two carboys.

How big would that be? 5 cf? 7.5 or 8 cf?

You just can't go by the cuft, you need the hard dimensions. The chests that have the compressor hump across the full width make it less useful for carboys and cornies. All that space above it contribute to more cuft but is completely useless for these purposes.

Bobby_M said:
You just can't go by the cuft, you need the hard dimensions. The chests that have the compressor hump across the full width make it less useful for carboys and cornies. All that space above it contribute to more cuft but is completely useless for these purposes.

You need the internal dimension. I bought a 15.7 cu ft one on craigslist and asked for the internal dimensions and was giving the external dimensions.

The whole way there I was jumping up and down because based up those dimensions I could fit 12 cornys. Get the bastard home and find out I can only fit 6 cornys. But nonetheless not bad for $50.

I have a 5 cu ft and it fits 3 coneys & 5# co2 bottle on the hump.

keg003.jpg
[/IMG]

that's a great set up. i've been looking for something small like that. what brand is it?

I don't remember, got it at Lowes, on sale around $139.00. Was white, sanded down and painted with Rustoleum crinkle spray paint. It has brass three tap tower. :mug:

Back