dry malt vs priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I have a fat tire clone that is ready for bottling very soon and it calls for dry malt rather than priming sugar. I have a second batch ready to be bottled in about 2 weeks that calls for priming sugar. I have TONS of extra dry malt and no priming sugar.

Are there any consequences to using dry malt instead of priming sugar? This being said, I do not care if the clone tastes EXACTLY like what it is trying to emulate but I instead I am perfectly happy with good tasting beer.

Thanks!

You're good using DME. But you'll have to use more. I forget how much more, but look around on here and you'll find it.

You're good using DME. But you'll have to use more. I forget how much more, but look around on here and you'll find it.

And it's said it will take a little longer for it to carb up. Only other negative is said to be a possible crud ring around the top of the bottle. You'll be fine with DME though.

Rev.

And it's said it will take a little longer for it to carb up. Only other negative is said to be a possible crud ring around the top of the bottle. You'll be fine with DME though.

Rev.

I actually like sugars that take longer. I tend to be very patient with my beer and do not mind letting it sit another week or so to get a much better taste.

Thanks!

I actually like sugars that take longer. I tend to be very patient with my beer and do not mind letting it sit another week or so to get a much better taste.

Thanks!

I wouldn't count on the DME to give it a better taste. It's probably not much different; the only blind study I remember reading had corn sugar and cane sugar as indistinguishable, with a couple of people preferring those over DME but most people unable to tell the difference there either.

Unfortunately I can't find the link, but I came away thinking that DME would be my last choice quality-wise, though it likely doesn't make much difference.

Back