Single-tier propane/electric HERMS/RIMS rig?!!!??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyan

Reaction score
That's right. ;)

I'm not saying it'll run with propane and electric or HERMS and RIMS at the same time.

I'll be able to choose one of these when I brew: propane with HERMS, propane with RIMS, electric with HERMS, or electric with RIMS.

I'll be applying techniques developed by some members of HBT, esp. diatonic, lonnie, the pol, and others that I'll mention (and give credit to) later.

I'm developing the plans and accumulating parts cuz I wanna post plans and parts lists ASAP.

Got a few other projects to post on here, too.

This'll be an enjoyable experience.

Prost! :mug:

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Great to see someone else tackle the hybrid propane/electric. I've been happy with my electric HERMS setup, but it drove me crazy that I couldn't brew other places than home. Last year I couldn't brew at Big Brew because the location didn't have enough AC for my rig.

This year I'll represent at Big Brew :mug:

Features I want:
  • Single-tier with 2 march pumps,
  • Capability to burn with either propane or electric,
  • Capability to mash with HERMS or RIMS,
  • Mobility - casters w/ inflated tires so it can roll over gravel/rock,
  • Gas beam,
  • 9000W in HLT, RIMS heater, and BK,
  • Whirlpools ports,
  • Autosparge,
  • Mounted IC,
  • Stainless steel frame,
  • 3 Keggles,
  • Weldless fittings on the keggles (probably don’t need thermometers, just sight glass from Bobby M.)
  • ASCO valves (I got the EF8210G087V and the EF8210G087 to test the difference in seals)
  • In addition to this rig, I have a grain mill, 17 gallon plastic conical, and SOF chiller.

Still figuring out my specification for the pilot and controller stuff:
Honeywell ignitor/sensor and pilot burner assemblies
SSRs and Auber PIDs, LOVE controllers, and other controller type of stuff.

Just to let you know, the posts on this 1st page WILL be edited multiple times.

I'm curious to hear why you want all of the redundancy. Not that it's bad, but when I built my rig, I wanted to have things pretty simple and straight forward.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Great to see someone else tackle the hybrid propane/electric. I've been happy with my electric HERMS setup, but it drove me crazy that I couldn't brew other places than home. Last year I couldn't brew at Big Brew because the location didn't have enough AC for my rig.

This year I'll represent at Big Brew :mug:

I can't wait either. You helped inspire the P/E aspect. You'll surely represent with you got going: A single-tier, PID controlled, P/E hybrid with whirlpool ports, fly sparge, gas beam, stepping with infusions, and so on...

I'm curious to hear why you want all of the redundancy. Not that it's bad, but when I built my rig, I wanted to have things pretty simple and straight forward.

I appreciate all scrutiny. Homebrewers can be notorious for overkill, i.e., my rig. My rig will not contain any redundancies. My listed features are essential. This rig is not a KISS rig, nor is it hi-tech; it is what it is. I understand that this may seem unorthodox. To me, this rig is whimsical. I am glad to help anyone who is puzzled.

Yeah, ok...

So if you don't mind, once again for us slow ones in the group... reconcile these two statements:

"I'll be able to choose one of these when I brew: propane with HERMS, propane with RIMS, electric with HERMS, or electric with RIMS."

"My rig will not contain any redundancies. My listed features are essential."

I just want to see the light, really. So please illuminate.

Yeah, ok...

So if you don't mind, once again for us slow ones in the group... reconcile these two statements:

"I'll be able to choose one of these when I brew: propane with HERMS, propane with RIMS, electric with HERMS, or electric with RIMS."

"My rig will not contain any redundancies. My listed features are essential."

I just want to see the light, really. So please illuminate.

I don't mind at all.

I want to have the propane/electric aspect because I want be able to brew with electric when it's too cold out in Colorado, but I also want to be able to brew with propane when 240VAC is not available, e.g., at Big Brew Day, at a friend's house, etc.

When building a rig, almost everyone has to choose between HERMS and RIMS. One may feel indecisive at that point. They both have their pros and cons. One may feel inclined to choose both instead of one or the other. That's what I did. I was burnin' one down, and I said, "I want both mash systems! Well, what do you want me to do, build two brewstands? **** that ****!" So, I decided to have both mash systems in one brewstand.

I'm happy to further illuminate if needed. :)

OK. Well, I get the propane/electric thing, but I gotta tell ya, I still don't get the HERMS+RIMS thing. If you build it with both, I think you'll find that one of them is completely unnecessary, since they both do the exact same thing. I would suggest picking one and going with it first and then adding the other later if you still want, but it's your stand, so have fun with it!

OK. Well, I get the propane/electric thing, but I gotta tell ya, I still don't get the HERMS+RIMS thing. If you build it with both, I think you'll find that one of them is completely unnecessary, since they both do the exact same thing. I would suggest picking one and going with it first and then adding the other later if you still want, but it's your stand, so have fun with it!

But he's living in a materialist and capitalist world, he's just joining the bandwagon with wasteful materialism in support of all those capitalist companies thats all. :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

OK. Well, I get the propane/electric thing, but I gotta tell ya, I still don't get the HERMS+RIMS thing.

Well, I tried. :rolleyes:

If you build it with both, I think you'll find that one of them is completely unnecessary, since they both do the exact same thing.

I have already told you that I will NOT find one of them completely unnecessary. I wouldn't build the thing if that was even remotely possible.

I would suggest picking one and going with it first and then adding the other later if you still want, but it's your stand, so have fun with it!

Thanks for the suggestion.
I will have fun, thank you. I'm very excited!

Thanks for the input! :mug:

Well, I tried. :rolleyes:

I have already told you that I will NOT find one of them completely unnecessary. I wouldn't build the thing if that was even remotely possible.

Actually, you never said you wouldn't find one unnecessary. You just said you decided to build a stand with both. And it's not only possible - it's highly probable.

Well, I tried, too. I don't think I'll bother returning to monitor your "department of redundancy department" rig build, so no further illumination is required. Good luck.

Actually, you never said you wouldn't find one unnecessary. You just said you decided to build a stand with both. And it's not only possible - it's highly probable.

"My listed features are essential."

Obviously, that quote of mine right there means I would not find one (HERMS or RIMS) unnecessary, so pretty much yes I did say that.

Please try reading my posts before responding to them so that you do not appear so discombobulated. :drunk:

Well, I tried, too. I don't think I'll bother returning to monitor your "department of redundancy department" rig build, so no further illumination is required. Good luck.

Great name for the brewstand because I'll have a great story behind it. :p

I appreciate all the great input and advice you brought to my thread.

Buh-bye.

Just curious where you got your ASCO EF8210G087V valves and how much you had to give for them. I read the article as well and was looking to get the valves with the FKM seals but am having trouble locating anything but the Buna N type seals...

Thanks

Wow... Lil' Sparky you are a mean Badger today huh? To completely crush the sceptics. I brewed with a RIMS/HERMS system for over a year and love it. I am building into my current builds as well (DITCHES and 2P-Twent-E) because it is so nice to use.

They are not redundant at all. They provide distinct advantages and disadvantages that can be utilized to make brewing any particular beer easier. For example, I use HERMS for a single temperature mash because it gently heats and maintains an extremely constant temp. I use RIMS for step mashes or any multi-temp schedules including ramps or whatever the hell I can dream up.

I don't know what happened to this board over the last year. People are just such dicks to anyone with a new idea... it is really sad.

Cyan, I hope you stick around and show us your sweet build.

Just curious where you got your ASCO EF8210G087V valves and how much you had to give for them. I read the article as well and was looking to get the valves with the FKM seals but am having trouble locating anything but the Buna N type seals...

Thanks

You're gonna hate me for saying this, but I got the EF8210G087V off ebay for $20. I got the EF8210G087 from a different seller for $40. You can find solenoid valves for much cheaper from valves4projects on eBay. I believe those also have the seals you're looking for. Found that info from this thread: <https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/asco-valve-substitutions-154380/>. Please let me know how it works out! Thanks! :)

+1 to watching eBay for the Asco valves. Got mine there for around $20... but you need to be a little patient. I got the 8215G020 though.

Resurrection!

Cyan, any updates on this my man? I'm planning to at least have the hybrid propane/electric system with most of the features you listed (especially whirlpool ports)

Back