AHS Tripel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeland

Reaction score
I am really wanting to brew the Tripel IPA from Austin Homebrew and wondering if any one has tried it and had any suggestions. It looks great and so far all they have provided has been amazing, but this is a different brew than I've ever tried before.
Also I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the double pitching option and if there was really much difference b/n the dry yeast and white labs trapist ale yeast for this brew.

Thanks for the advice

I've not used this kit, but I've made belgian IPAs and tried commercials, and I love them all.

Huge difference in yeast. Personally, I'd use the Wyeast. I feel like wyeast gives more of the trappist flavors that I look for in belgians. Everyones opinion is difference on this though.

As for double pitching...no. Just make a starter and don't worry about it. If you go with dry yeast, then yes, you'll probably want to double pitch.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I will do the Wyeast like you recommended. Any other suggestions for my first time Belgian brew?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I will do the Wyeast like you recommended. Any other suggestions for my first time Belgian brew?

I've brewed nothing but Belgians for the past six months. Here's what I've learned:

1) Mash at low temperatures (149-150)

2) Pitch cool and let it rise (I typically pitch 5 degrees below the stated range for the yeast and let it go to the very top of the range)

3) If the recipe calls for sugar, add it to the after primary 3-7 days, do not add it to the boil

4) If your fermentation is slow or you're brewing a high gravity ale, pitch some fresh yeast at bottling time

The benefit is you're slowly feeding your yeast instead of overwhelming them with so much simple sugar. I like the suggestion, but it's not necessary with lower gravity belgians.

If you only adding a pound of sugar there is no need to add it to the fermenter. A healthy yeast pitch will eat it and still be hungry for the malt sugars. When you get to adding 3lb or more I would feed it slowly in doses to the fermenter.

I'm preparing for my 1st IPA tripel also....I've never used a starter and the majority of Ales I've been doing latley have used dry yeast. How important is the use of a starter in a beer with a 1.075OG?

If you use dry yeast, you don't need a starter. If you use liquid, then it's very important to use a starter. I do starters for anything above 1.050. Even below 1.050, it's a good habit to get into.

OK. So with me being a newbie and just using dry yeast before, how do you use a starter if you're not doing a DME, and just grain or mini mash? Meaning how do you pitch it if you don't make the wort until the day of with grain. Probably a dumb question but I had to ask. Thanks again

I'm preparing for my 1st IPA tripel also....I've never used a starter and the majority of Ales I've been doing latley have used dry yeast. How important is the use of a starter in a beer with a 1.075OG?

IMO you don't have to use a starter, but if you don't you will have to pitch at least two and maybe three pkgs of liquid yeast.

If you ask 10 brewers you will get 12 answers. J/k

Do not use dry yeast because it won't taste its best.

If you have never used liquid yeast, White Labs is the easiest to use.

If you have never made a starter before you might consider the double pitch option to make it easier. Especially if you don't have the equipment for a starter yet.

Most people that order are opting for the double pitch.

Two yeasts would be plenty. Prepare for some foam. Either have an decent sized primary or use a blow-off tube and lose some beer.

It is a straight forward recipe. For Belgian recipes always use liquid yeast. I know, dry yeast will physically work, but we are taking about the flavor. Why spend that much money and get dry yeast. Most of the flavor in Belgian beers is the yeast. Those flavors are not achievable with the dry yeast on the market.

In this case it would be like buying a Bentley and opting for the vinyl seats.

If you have any further questions let me know. It is my recipe.

Forrest

For most beers I use dry yeast because its cheap and works well with good results but for a Belgian I'd use liquid for sure. There's many different belgian yeast tho so I don't know if AHS suggest a certain one. Most use trappist but I don't care for the intense fruity flavors in a IPA so I used a Saison yeast in mine and love the peppery flavors tho it does have some green apple flavors in it too. No matter which one you decide it makes a fun interesting twist to your beer and you'll start experimenting with all the different yeast stains to see what you can make.
If your going to get 2 yeast vials anyway you could split the batch and ferment with two different stains to see what you like more.

Back