5 gallon bucket as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I was at wal-mart the other day getting some paint and saw a 5 gallon paint bucket with lid for about $6 (hdpe plastic btw). I picked on up for use as a cheap bottling bucket but was wondering if I could use it as a secondary. Assuming I let it ferment all out I should be ok right?

I doubt you would have big problems. However you really would rather use food-grade plastic for anything you brew with, and glass carboys are truly better for conditioning. However, you most likely wont have problems.

Perhaps the biggest flaw here is that you won't be able to see how clear it is, which is why a carboy is better for a secondary.

Its white. I googled food safe plastics on my blackberry while I was there and found that hdpe (#2) plastic is safe for food and doesn't leech chemicals. I'm not wanting to use the secondary for clearing really but more for making bourbon barrell ale/porter/stout and fruit beers for the swmbo. I also wanted to use them for when I make high gravity beers that need to age a bit that way I can open up my 2 fermenting buckets.

I use a 5 gallon bucket that I got from the deli counter at Safeway (it was a soy sauce bucket at one time, but I bleached and cleaned it out) for a secondary, at least for the rare occasions when I actually use a secondary. Never had any problems whatsoever. I have an IPA dry hopping in there right now, in fact. I say go for it.

I use a 5 gallon bucket that I got from the deli counter at Safeway (it was a soy sauce bucket at one time, but I bleached and cleaned it out) for a secondary, at least for the rare occasions when I actually use a secondary. Never had any problems whatsoever. I have an IPA dry hopping in there right now, in fact. I say go for it.

Thanks. Thats what I was wanting to hear somebody who actually successfully used one. I can get 4 of those for the same price as one better bottle. Who knows I may use a couple for smaller experimental batches once I get my pipeline going. Thanks for all the reply's.

I am pretty sure it will work, But I also prefer clear (Better bottle or carboy) so i can see the clarity

Back