Ready to harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
Sorry, I know there are gazillions of thread like this but still, I am not sure of when I should harvest..

The cones smell nice when I touch them, but I'm not sure if they are "papery" yet.. they still seem pretty soft and moist..

Here is what they look like:

Index of /cedric/houblons_2009

Thanks

By the way these are Mount Hood, third year.. this will be my second harvest, as there was no production in the 1st year.

I also have a new Centennial plant that is in first year and produced a few dozen cones (not pictured)

Those look real nice but I don't think they are quite ready for harvest yet. Happy Brewing

So how late is too late?

Mine all have seeds as we planted from seed and have mixed male and female plants. This is the second year from seed and they are hanging down over a 15' teepee we made. Getting lots more this year too. I would like to weed out the males but seems almost impossible to do.

Well, I think that when they are all brown, its too late...

I have a patch that is brown, but I think this is because a stem was broken while training it.

So, I will wait until they feel drier.. thanks

smashed4, your hops look great! I think they need a little more time as they are still very green and besides the ones that are totally brown, I don't see any tips that are starting to turn. Your's look like they are coming along at about the same rate, so this might not matter, but if you can reach them you can harvest them selectively over the period of a few weeks to get each at their peak.

I've found the following link to be a helpful resource: http://www.realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html#grow

Latest posts

Back