wtf is going on?is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
:drunk: OK I'm doing my first beer over the 1.080 og mark and it just seems like its taking forever. it started out at 1.098 and i pitched 2 vials of wl Belgian golden strong and 1 vial of wl Abby.well needles to say fermentation started with a boom.it fermented strong for 2 weeks then dropped off to bought 1 bubble every 15 to 20 seconds well i took a gravity and its at 1.038 way more than i expected for the amount of activity I'm seeing .so i decided to rouse the yeast and pitch a tube of wl champagne yeast thinking if any thing would git it started that would but no such luck.still the odd bubble evry 18 to 20 seconds what do yall think?

Whats your temp? I gave my barley wine last winter a good swirl every day to rouse the yeast. That helped.

Also, did you oxygenate your wort when you first pitched? That make a huge diff with High grav brews.

My Barely wine wa about 1.094 OG and finsihed about 1.024 if my memeory is correct.

ag recipe is as follows
5 lb briess vienna malt
2 lb candy sugar clear
2 lb muntons dextrin malt
10 lb castle belgian pilsner
115 min at 155 f
15 min at 165 f
yes i poured the wort through a funnel into the carboy to help oxygenate then also shook the hell out of it just before pitching my next purches is a ssteel air stone

Don't forget that with a mash at 155 your not going to ferment out as far. I had the same thing happen to a sweet stout. Only got about 63% app. attenuation. You might be neer that now. Though the Champagne yeast should bring it down some. It might take a little while. One bubble ebery 18 seconds means it's still munching on something.

When did you add the Chanpagne yeast?

That much dextrin malt will give you a higher FG than normal. I've had high gravity ales that hit the 1.035 range and then slow down but keep fermenting, sometimes for months before they hit the target.

Back