how tall is a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a dorm fridge to convert into a kegorator, How tall is a corny keg with a full collar (regular size 5 gal i think) and how wide ...

The fridge i am looking at is a 4.3cu ft with or without a half sized freezer

Will a 3.4cu ft be tall enough?, if someone could measure there keg for me would be cool , I haven't got mine yet.

26" inch tall by 8" diameter. I have not seen a dorm fridge with a freezer that will work. Plus the door and the hump gets in the way on most as well.

Thanks , would it work if i remove the collar from the kegs? how tall without the collar?

Thanks , would it work if i remove the collar from the kegs? how tall without the collar?

None of my 16 kegs have removable collars. You would have to have a good angle grinder to take them off! What type of keg are you talking about that has a removable collar?

The posts especially with fittings stick up as high as the collar so you get no benefit at all from removing the collar.

Keep in mind that the width is just as much a limiting factor. The 4.3 ft fridges I looked at would not fit the 8 in diameter.

Corny kegs are exactly 8.5" x 25". You will however want to use approximately 9" x 26" at minimum. 28" tall would be a lot more convenient and I found the majority of minifridges that will work come in a 28" height. The biggest thing you have to watch for is the depth to the hump that hides the compressor. You will need to remove the inner door in every case I've seen. Rather simple process anyway.

I am just setting up my Oster 5.0 from Best Buy. This is the first that I was able to find that fit. The door works as is for the most part so there is some storage there. Just the bottom shelf of the door comes out.

Back