Heatstick Wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
What gauge of wire is best for a 2kw heaststick?

Is 12ga heavy enough? Is 14ga?

How long a wire can I safely put on it?

How long and what gauge extension cord can I use?

Id google it... it is out there.

Typically 6GA for 44A, 8GA for 32A, 10GA for 24A, 12GA for 16A, 14 GA for 12A.....

I guess youd want no less than 12GA for this application.

Length... how long are you thinkin?

Length... how long are you thinkin?

Well, when using it in the kitchen, I would want to reach the outlet on the wall. When using it outside, I would want to reach an extension cord on the ground.

Also, I would want some slack, to be able to move the heatstick around when stirring with it.

Four feet, maybe?

I'd put at least 6' (8 would be better) on the stick.

Another thing that is very handy (almost required) is an on/off switch for the thing. It's a pain trying to plug in and unplug the thing to turn it off and on. I built an extension cord with an outlet box on the end. In the outlet box is a switch/plug combo (top half of outlet is a switch, bottom is an outlet, $6). It helps a lot.

The switch is not waterproof, so there's a slight risk there - mostly from the spaz/freakout actions you might perform if you got shocked - because the GFCI should (should) keep it from actually killing you ;) (you're using a GFCI, right?) But then if a non waterproof switch freaks you out, then a heatstick may not be for you anyway.

You could build the box with one of those outdoor, water resistant switch covers as well.

+1 on the 12AWG! I wouldn't sweat a 25' extension, as long as it's 12AWG (they're spendy but will save your tools)

Yeah, the lengths that you are talking about should not be a problem... if you were talking 50' or more, then youd have an issue.

While camping once, I found out you CAN get a nice shock from a GFCI outlet.

Even though the GFCI will cut the circuit when it senses a large draw to ground, the wiring (including extension cords) tends to act as a big capacitor.

That discharges through YOU to ground.

Back