Water filter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
AHS Mini Mash kits with LME

I'm trying to pin down a twang I've gotten in my last two ambers (but not the stout).

ALL of our water comes in already softened. 100%.

So I purchased a Brita faucet mount. It seems it only strips out the contaminants.

Any problem with this? What about using our soft water - would just boiling take out any of the bad" stuff I should be worried about?

I would not think AHS LME would be the cause.

The odd thing is that the brew does not seem to have the twang at bottling. I do not believe oxidation is a problem as I have used the same technique on non-twangers (which the LME was NOT from AHS but a LHBS).

A little stumped - granted the newest brew is young so I'm about to get Revvied I suppose. The other twanger is 7 weeks old and is not getting better.

Probably no answer but this is therapeutic.

I'll be switching to DME but recipes from AHS are only LME

Just thought of something. Both twangers had extra residual sugar.

#1 had to much maple syrup and is VERY twangy. This one the mini mash temp zoomed too high and the FG was higher then I wanted giving extra residual sugar.

Still this one tasted excellent after at bottling and excellent 1 week in the bottle but twangy after 2 weeks.

OK OK - Don't Revvy me bro!

Every batch (only 4) i've used LME in I got a twang/appleskins flavor. I went all DME then, DME and Steeping Graing, now AG. The last three stops on the brewing journey didn't have the twang.

Also if you suspect your water softness is accentuation the twang, maybe add some Burton salts or gypsum to harden it a little and see if that clears it up.

I use the filtered water - would that still be soft???

aluminum brewing pots???

All bottles are rinsed in One Step No Rinse cleaner before bottling

I decided last week to go DME but I still have 2 5g's in carboys and a Kit (which I think I'll skip the supplied LME and go to DME).

Not looking for an answer - just thinking out loud here,

Hardness has to do with the PPM of Calcium. Softness is the lack of Ca
Filtering will not add any degree of hardness to your current water.

You need to get a protective layer of oxidization on a new aluminum pot before you brew by boiling shome water in it or baking it in the oven for a while. Did you oxidize your aluminum pot prior to your first session? Regardless, if you've brewed in it more than once then the new pot would have only affected your first brew with that pot.

On brew #11 now. I'm listening to a pod cast and man I'm thinking it is old LME but I can not believe AHS has old LME (although I had it sitting around for a couple weeks)

Back