Bottling: Is no rinse really no rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
So I mixed up a batch of no rinse sanitizer...not sure what brand because my lhbs buys in bulk and I get a plastic ziplock bag of white powder and my dumb self didn't ask. It seems to be the 'one step' brand though.

now the question here. on the back of an official 'one step' package it states to mix, soak, yada yada yada, but then says to rinse with cold water. Is this step necessary? my big concern here is during bottling. when i was bottling this past weekend i wasn't able to dry them completely before filling and rotating new bottles into sanitizer and then ones from sanitizer into my drain / drying area. is this sanitizer residue going to hurt my beer?

I've heard that using 'five star' is the best method, but i'd like to use the stuff i already went and spent money on. but really if its better to just get the 'five star' i may just do that because 2.50 for the bag of 'one step' really won't break my bank.

most importanly though i just want to be assured that i didn't bottle 49 bottles of yuck due to some sanitzer residue.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions! :mug:

I used one-step for several years (still do for wine and cleaning kegs, to use up an enormous quantity!) and used it as a no-rinse all the time. The only thing I noticed was a slight "film" on the outside of the bottle when it did dry. Like a very little bit of white film. Not thick or anything, and not really a problem. I just rinsed the bottles off if I was giving them as gifts.

I think if it's one-step, you'll be fine.

YooperBrew said:
I used one-step for several years (still do for wine and cleaning kegs, to use up an enormous quantity!) and used it as a no-rinse all the time. The only thing I noticed was a slight "film" on the outside of the bottle when it did dry. Like a very little bit of white film. Not thick or anything, and not really a problem. I just rinsed the bottles off if I was giving them as gifts.

I think if it's one-step, you'll be fine.

i noticed that film as well when i dried out the extra caps that I didn't need to use.

thanks for the help!

I know you have the whole getup for using a solution, but do you have a dishwasher? I have never had a problem using solely the dishwasher for sanitizing my bottles. The one step is supposedly a no-rinse, I use it for my fermenter, utensils, etc and do not rinse. It has never given me a detectable off flavor or any other troubles. Oh and, I actually use a little less than what the directions call for.

IIRC, One step is not actually (officially) a santitizer as regulated by the fed. And the manufacturers (packagers maybe) don't actually market it as such. They actually market it as a cleanser.

http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/faq.html

However, One Step is a percarbonate based cleaser and in solution generates Hydrogen Peroxide which at a 3% solution does act as a sanitizer.

The down side, IMO, is that One Step;

- requires too long a contact time to do the job as a sanitizer (IIRC, 5 Minutes contact).

- requires too much product to create the needed solution.

- Is too pricey.

- Is not regulated by the FDA as a sanitizer.

- One Step is not stable in solution. One Step solutions should be used and dumped within 2-3 hours as the levels of H2O2 diminish rapidly.

I am not saying to ditch the One Step. Use it til' it's gone and then buy some Star San and some distilled water. You'll be glad you did and it will last you much much longer.

I have been thinking of switching to Star San because of the foaming action. I suppose when I run out of One Step I'll try some. The one big pita about One Step is it takes a while to dissolve.

+1 for one step, I have never had a problem...although last night I tried star san for the first time and loved using it. I love the foam, and the bottles feel clean to touch when bottling...but obviously I won't have a 'real' opinion until I drink the brew that I bottled using it...I have high expectations :)

GilaMinumBeer said:
IIRC, One step is not actually (officially) a santitizer as regulated by the fed. And the manufacturers (packagers maybe) don't actually market it as such. They actually market it as a cleanser.

http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/faq.html

However, One Step is a percarbonate based cleaser and in solution generates Hydrogen Peroxide which at a 3% solution does act as a sanitizer.

The down side, IMO, is that One Step;

- requires too long a contact time to do the job as a sanitizer (IIRC, 5 Minutes contact).

- requires too much product to create the needed solution.

- Is too pricey.

- Is not regulated by the FDA as a sanitizer.

- One Step is not stable in solution. One Step solutions should be used and dumped within 2-3 hours as the levels of H2O2 diminish rapidly.

I am not saying to ditch the One Step. Use it til' it's gone and then buy some Star San and some distilled water. You'll be glad you did and it will last you much much longer.

Ditto on these comments...

Here's a good thread discussing the differences between onestep and true sanitizers... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

And in answer to your question...Starsan and Iodophor are true no-rinse sanitizers...You soak or vinator your bottles with either of those 2 sanitizers, let them rain somewhat (but still remain wet) and fill your bottles....Neother of them affect the taste of the beer or anything.....:mug:

I use 1-step too- for just about everything with no issues. I save the stuff after it's served it purpose for the day and use it to soak bottles in- as labels & glue peel/wipe right away after 12+ hours soaking.

A good point was brought up about the fact that its not really a sanitizer- and when I looked at a chart of the cleaning/sanitizing powers of everything thats on the market- I noticed that things like 1-step etc. are not really all that strong. I'm waiting for the day when it might fail me- though I have never heard of it happening. Nonetheless, I'm looking at graduating to a more powerful product- but I doubt I'll ever loose the need to keep the stuff on hand. It's really convenient!

Thanks for all the helps.....I read the other post a few weeks ago about the ups and downs of the different kinds of cleaners / sanitizers. I'll basically be switching to star san asap, but i'll get my moneys worth out of the one step that i went and bought.

just confused as to why, on the packaging, it says "ONE STEP no rinse" then on the back in the instructions it actually suggests rinsing.....

Back