metal party kegs-anyone use them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
I was at the LHBS and noticed that they had a party keg starter kit, which comes with 4 5L (~1G) party kegs, a couple bungs, and a CO2 injector. Anyone out there use these things? I have gotten beer from the store in these (Molsen Export) but I did not know that you could bottle in them. I would be interested, as I am about to bottle some beer for bringing to my family's on X-mas day, and a couple of these would be handy. BTW- the kit with everything above as well as a couple CO2 cartridges was $65

Any advice?

Some people like them. I don't. Had many seal problems, the tap handle broke off and they are a royal pain to clean. On the plus side, they don't take up much room in the fridge.

Do a search on "mini-kegs" for other threads.

That's true. A lot of people don't like them.

At times the carbonation is NOT consistent (BIGGEST COMPLAINT!).

HOWEVER, I have 19 of them and use them A LOT!

Now, I know that I can recommend them, but that's like saying "try broccoli...it's good", or even that squid ice cream..., but it all comes down to works best for you.

I actually have about 12 of them FULL right now. I just kegged 2-Hefe Weizens and 2-Helles Bock this afternoon.

They are easy to transport and share. I like that about them. As long as you take care of them they'll last a long time.

(I haven't done this yet, but) my only GRIPE is the price. They are between $11-15 on-line to my local HBS.

I got all of mine from Germany, FULL OF GERMAN BEER for less than $10.00! None of that EXPORT stuff. The REAL stuff - UNPASTEURIZED!

Anywho, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary. :D

As far as cleaning...just like bottles...rinse them out when they're empty and you'll never have to scrub them... :D ...rinse them out with the jet bottle washer that's all.

cool. My LHBS has them for 10 each, or with the kit that I mentioned above.
trying to decide whether to do something like that or just go straight for a full CO2 system. I lose the portability factor, and that won't help me for x-mas.

Back