How much Dry Malt Extract to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepke

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'll be making a batch of beer soon that will leave me with the odd pound of liquid pils and liquid wheat extracts.

I was going to throw that into an experimental batch (waste not, want not) but figured I should throw in a little more extract.

As I'm on a malty kick I thought I'd throw in some dry malt (not sure what kind, but probably something light).

I'll have a spare 2 pounds of liquid wheat & 1 of liquid pils and thought some dry malt might be good.

Does anyone have an suggestions on how much to add so that it isn't too weak or so strong it kills the yeast and creates an overly sweet batch of drain-worthy crap?

Also, I was thinking of using some Ahtanum hops for flavor.

Thanks!
Ken

What size batch are we talking? 1 gallon? 3 gallons? 5 gallons?

Also, are you using any additional steeping grains for added flavor?

Also, what kind of yeast?

It seems like you could go a lot of directions with what you have if you add a little additional flavor components to your brew. Maybe a dunkelweizen? regular hefeweizen?

Well,with 2lb of wheat & 1lb pils,you could add a 3lb bag of plain light DME to that. And maybe the BB spice packet & some German hops for a shock top sort of ale.

I was going to research steeping grains next. I know this will be an ale of some sort. I might aim for something in the IPA area.

Another 3 lbs of extract will get you in an apa if you want to go more ipa (stronger) go with more extract (8lbs in total). Use a clean finishing ale yeast safale 5 or wyeast 1056. Steep a pound of crystal 10 or 20. Hop it to your liking....

Www. Brewtoad. Com. Create a new recipe set your volumes and select your style. The only you can add your ingredients and see exactly how certain additions affect the brew. It gives sg, ibus abv color etc. Play around with it and you'll learn a lot.

Back