What Have the Mississippi Homebrewers Been Up Too?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBrew08

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guy have been doing? How you been? What have you been brewing lately or done for beer?

Brewed 2 batches yesterday, Belgian Triple and a Smooth Nut Brown. First time to brew 2 batches in a day and it was exhausting. Needed to be done so I called in sick to work. (Yes, I'm that committed.) :rockin:

Hope all is well you guys!

Cheers!
Drew

I hate you guys :( I feel no love

Haha, sorry Drew. I've been slacking on getting on HBT lately.

I've been doing pretty well. Now that I'm done with school, I have a lot more time for brewing. I've been brewing a good bit here lately. My most recent brews have been a holiday spiced english brown ale with cinnamon and nutmeg, an american stout, imperial porter, APA, berliner weisse, parti-gyle imperial porter/brown porter.

I'm brewing up a pseudo-Lambic today or tomorrow. I'm not going to use bugs. I'm just going to use the grains and hops recommended in Brewing Classic Styles. I'm going to ferment with the Euro ale yeast. I'll secondary with 6 lbs of raspberries. I'll add lactic acid to taste when I keg it.

I'm glad you started a thread like this. I was thinking about starting one myself with the hopes of being more active on HBT.

Cheers,
-Ron

Daybis said:
Haha, sorry Drew. I've been slacking on getting on HBT lately.

I've been doing pretty well. Now that I'm done with school, I have a lot more time for brewing. I've been brewing a good bit here lately. My most recent brews have been a holiday spiced english brown ale with cinnamon and nutmeg, an american stout, imperial porter, APA, berliner weisse, parti-gyle imperial porter/brown porter.

I'm brewing up a pseudo-Lambic today or tomorrow. I'm not going to use bugs. I'm just going to use the grains and hops recommended in Brewing Classic Styles. I'm going to ferment with the Euro ale yeast. I'll secondary with 6 lbs of raspberries. I'll add lactic acid to taste when I keg it.

I'm glad you started a thread like this. I was thinking about starting one myself with the hopes of being more active on HBT.

Cheers,
-Ron

Good to here Ron! Wish the Mississippi thread was more active than this. Great to hear you are still kickin' it up in Columbus!

I suckered a friend of mine into brewing down here in Brandon. His first batch turned out swell and was happy for him.

I still consider myself new but help in anyway I can. Recently brewed my first partial which is fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Cheers to you and hope all is well!

Drew

Good to here Ron! Wish the Mississippi thread was more active than this. Great to hear you are still kickin' it up in Columbus!

I suckered a friend of mine into brewing down here in Brandon. His first batch turned out swell and was happy for him.

I still consider myself new but help in anyway I can. Recently brewed my first partial which is fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Cheers to you and hope all is well!

Drew

If it was a bit more active, I might hop on here more often.

Are you a member of HBAMM?

What beer did you make with your partial?

If it was a bit more active, I might hop on here more often.

Are you a member of HBAMM?

What beer did you make with your partial?

No, I'm not a part of any club at the moment. Partial was a Red Ale. Readings and everything came out as expected. Bottled it up and it is conditioning as we speak. I'm starting to get more beer than I have room for, but that isnt a bad thing :tank:

I'll participate in the thread!

I'm the buddy DrewBrew08 got into brewing. Brewed my second brew yesterday. It's a Belgian Saison from extract. I added 3.3lbs of Bavarian Wheat malt to the boil. I pitched the Belgian yeast and added Brett Lambicus as well. Next weekend I'm going to add in WL Sour Mix #1 and that will be the last I look at it for about 6 months until I feed the yeast and bugs again.

Next I'm going to brew an IPA to have something to drink while I ponder this Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

Daybis, I noticed you have done a couple Berliner Weiss brews. How long is fermentation process on those? I'm wanting to do a couple more brews and have a couple going at a time. My Funky Cold Medina will be in the closet for a year. I like tart styles and Berliner Weiss has been on my radar.

I have Punishment mashing away right now. I'm pumped for this brew. Should be a good one. I'll let this one go and then change up the recipe a bit to see what I like.

Daybis, I noticed you have done a couple Berliner Weiss brews. How long is fermentation process on those? I'm wanting to do a couple more brews and have a couple going at a time. My Funky Cold Medina will be in the closet for a year. I like tart styles and Berliner Weiss has been on my radar.

Gus, Sorry for the late reply. I have done a total of three batches. My first one stayed in primary for 6 months. It didn't get sour at all, but it had the aroma of a sour beer. I added 2 oz (88% solution) lactic acid when I kegged it. It turned out great. Some of my brewing buddies loved it.

My second one is still in the primary, it's been there for over a year. It's slightly more sour than my first batch and it has a very distinctive sour beer aroma. With the first to batches, I did not oxygenate my beer as well as I probably should have. I believe the lower levels of oxygen hampered the amount of sourness. I'll probably be kegging this one in the very near future and adding lactic acid to this one as well.

My third batch has been in the primary for 4 months. I oxygenated the hell out of it. I haven't tasted it yet. I have it hidden in closet. I plan on checking on it sometime this summer.

I plan on doing another one in the very near future, but I plan on fermenting it in a plastic bucket. Since plastic is a lot more oxygen permeable than my glass carboys, I'm hoping that will make the beers a lot more tart without the addition of lactic acid.

Nice! I've decided to do a Farmhouse Saison with the WL American Farmhouse yeast. I'm going to pitch yeast about 68 degrees and let it go a few days then ramp up to 75-80 degrees. Let that ferment in the primary for a month or longer. Then bottle and wait a few months. Hoping to have a nice summer beer! I keep doing these brewers with longer fermentations! I may do my Belgian dark again in the mean time. It's getting close to being ready to bottle here soon.

Thanks for the reply Daybis!

Like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mug:

no im not serious

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy. Not super active on the forums, but I'll join in. Currently a Hattiesburg brewer, but should be back home in Pike County by the summer. I first brewed a few kit batches with a buddy about 15 years ago but it never took off. I started back brewing in 2008 and it's been downhill ever since. I've dabbled in a bit of everything since then. I've brewed Mr. Beer, extracts, partial mash all the way up to my current all grain set up. I've done meads, Belgians, sours, barrel aged, clean styles, you name it. I've even managed to pick up a few accolades and awards in my time brewing. I work offshore on an international vessel, so I brew like crazy when I'm on my days off. Good to see more Mississippi brewers out there. Cheers!

I'll jump in too... I don't get down this far in the forum threads too often.

I'm from the Coast and Co-Founder of the Anti-Homebrew Club Gulf Coast Brewers League. LOL

I'm on my 2nd/3rd Berliner Weisse after success with the 1st brew. Daybis... what yeast did you use? I have used the White Labs Berliner Weisse vial and have been very happy with it.

My 1st batch was an all grain, no boil batch that aged for 3 months @ 75F. I brought it to a festival and it was well received. Funny thing is I had about 2 pints left in the keg and so I just left the keg in the Garage for cleaning later. It sat in the hot summer garage for about 5 weeks and I was still too busy to clean it so on a whim I just threw it back in the kegerator an put it back on CO2... Boy were those last 2 glasses good and sour! Emphasis on the GOOD part too!

So my 2nd/3rd batch was also an all grain, no boil, bumped up to a 10 gallon batch. What I did though was also use 2 vials of WL Berliner yeast and 1 5gallons is straight and the 2nd I added 1.5lbs of dried tart cherries... Both have been sitting for 5 months in primary @ about 71F average. I have not touched them at all so I have no comment on where they are right now, but I'm looking forward to trying them someday.

Berliners are nice, because they are tart/sour and can obviously take a beating! Great low ABV summer beers and brew day is a breeze by skipping the boiling process! This will be a regular on tap from here on out!

Bottling my Belgian Pale Ale today. I went back and forth on bottling it with Brett but decided against it. This one will be my regular one to compare my other experiments with. I'm going to do the same pale ale and have different variations. One will be dry hopped and one will be bottled/secondaried with a Brett strain. Then maybe blended.

I'm also working on my Golden Strong Ale Recipe. It and my Tripel will be brewed in the near future.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. I was thinking about starting another "what are ya'll up to" threads, but I thought I'd try and get this one rolling again.

Anyways, I've taken a small hiatus from brewing for the most part this summer. Mostly because it's too damn hot to brew in my garage. Our club did a recent big brew day at my place a few weeks ago. We had three batches going. Here's a photo:

9630041238_83ed975928_z.jpg

I brewed up an IIPA. Other members brewed up an ordinary bitter and two pale ales. I brewed an all zythos IPA the next day.

Our club is having another big brew day this weekend. I plan on whipping up a Munich Dunkel. I'm using extract so I can give the munich extract from norther brewer a try. Up on deck for my future brews include: berliner weisse, classic rauch, breakfast porter, and an american stout.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. I was thinking about starting another "what are ya'll up to" threads, but I thought I'd try and get this one rolling again.

Anyways, I've taken a small hiatus from brewing for the most part this summer. Mostly because it's too damn hot to brew in my garage. Our club did a recent big brew day at my place a few weeks ago. We had three batches going. Here's a photo:

9630041238_83ed975928_z.jpg

I brewed up an IIPA. Other members brewed up an ordinary bitter and two pale ales. I brewed an all zythos IPA the next day.

Our club is having another big brew day this weekend. I plan on whipping up a Munich Dunkel. I'm using extract so I can give the munich extract from norther brewer a try. Up on deck for my future brews include: berliner weisse, classic rauch, breakfast porter, and an american stout.

Awesome! I have been on a small hiatus for the same reasons. I'm going to brew this weekend to start it back off. I'm thinking about a Belgian Pumpkin Dubbel but not positive.

Bottled yopper's runination clone Saturday and brewed an APA. Planning on some root beer for my kids and a black ale for me. Thinking about changing the recipe and using citra for aroma.

I had problems with temp back in the summer but found a big cardboard box and a leftover window unit in the garage will hold 65 very nicely in the garage. Not to tackle the nightly cold crash problem since SWMBO doesn't want the fermenters back in the house.

KrisPaulk77, where do you work? I also work offshore, for a drilling contractor. On a semi-submersible in the Gulf. Works out nicely with brewing doesn't it?

Wow it's been a long time since a post was made in this one! Never been super active fromt eh beginning. What does everyone have going? I'm sure there are a number of MS brewers around here!

Latest posts

Back