Mash tun filter ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creed24

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer. I've only done one brew so far, a double simcoe IPA (AG) that is going to get bottled from secondary this Friday :). I have already ordered more ingredients for a 2.5 gallon batch. My last one was a 5 gallon, I used my buddy's equipment. This time, I'm using most of my own equipment.

I have a pretty nice cooler, that's definitely big enough to fit all my grain. But I haven't installed a bazooka tube or manifold or anything, and I'm not really sure I want to. It worked good for the last batch, and I have the tools... I just think it might be simpler to lift the grain out rather than drain the wort.

My idea is to line the cooler with a fine, strong, non-corrosive wire mesh. After I let my mash sit for the hour or 90 minutes, I can just lift the grain out of the cooler by the mesh and pour the wort into the brewpot--being mindful not to oxidize my wort.

Has anybody tried this, particularly with a wheat brew? That's what I'm doing next, and I heard they tend to gum up and get stuck. I'm thinking of picking up some of this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mesh&storeId=10051.

Back