Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, several states changed in 1984 when the Reagan administration threatened to withhold federal highway funds from any state not changing their drinking age to 21. I remember because I was 18 at the time.

My little sister was 18 at the time. NJ had already raised the drinking age to 19. When the age went to 21 she had to wait while watching her friends who were a year older drink because they were grandfathered.

IMHO the drinking age should be 18.

Bender said:
My little sister was 18 at the time. NJ had already raised the drinking age to 19. When the age went to 21 she had to wait while watching her friends who were a year older drink because they were grandfathered.

IMHO the drinking age should be 18.

Come on EVERBODY knows that a person that just turned 21 is WAY more mature and responsible than a person who is 20yrs and 364 days.

Everyone has their own bogeymen to blame for all their troubles. For some it is an international conspiracy, liberals or conservatives and then for some it's Christians, Muslims or atheists. Most of such Bogeymen come from the same place--our personal insecurities. Give them enough time and they'll blame their personal bogeymen for everything--justified or not.

Everyone has their own bogeymen to blame for all their troubles. For some it is an international conspiracy, liberals or conservatives and then for some it's Christians, Muslims or atheists. Most of such Bogeymen come from the same place--our personal insecurities. Give them enough time and they'll blame their personal bogeymen for everything--justified or not.

this. I could blame society for the life I lived. the lack of parental attention. all my anger & rage. being jaded at such a young age. it was the way I was seeing everything. I may not forgive & forget, but I won't blame others for the way I choose to see.

I don't think religion had that much to do with it. The countries of Europe are "Christian" countries however most are 18 or less for drinking age. This government loves to legislate morality and fails at it everytime.

There is a big difference between countries that contain a large number of Christian citizens and a country whose citizen/politicians mandate that it act according to Christian principles.

I don't think religion had that much to do with it. The countries of Europe are "Christian" countries however most are 18 or less for drinking age. This government loves to legislate morality and fails at it everytime.

True, it's not the only factor at all, but it does play into it. It's just like with marijuana prohibition, conservative (some say radical) religious views cloud the ability to see fact and reason. Yes, European nations are also predominately Christian, but not in the sense that the US is. There is not a movement of Southern Baptist, Methodist and even more far leaning sects that there is here, and those far right leaning religious groups aren't as readily elected into office as has been known to happen here. Comparing the US to say, France on the basis of Christianity is similar to comparing Kuwait or Turkey to say, Afghanistan on the basis of Islam. Same religion, yes, but very different ways of incorporating that religion into daily life and law making.

It's not all about religious belief, not even close, but this nation's collective misunderstanding of the "state" religion does play heavily into some of our laws.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
True, it's not the only factor at all, but it does play into it. It's just like with marijuana prohibition, conservative (some say radical) religious views cloud the ability to see fact and reason. Yes, European nations are also predominately Christian, but not in the sense that the US is. There is not a movement of Southern Baptist, Methodist and even more far leaning sects that there is here, and those far right leaning religious groups aren't as readily elected into office as has been known to happen here. Comparing the US to say, France on the basis of Christianity is similar to comparing Kuwait or Turkey to say, Afghanistan on the basis of Islam. Same religion, yes, but very different ways of incorporating that religion into daily life and law making.

It's not all about religious belief, not even close, but this nation's collective misunderstanding of the "state" religion does play heavily into some of our laws.

Good point! I get into it with a coworker about the "alcohol is a sin" thing all the time, I just ask him to show me in the Bible where it says that...he hasn't come up with anything yet. I just don't understand where this radical thinking has any basis in our society (both left and right), the vocal minority seems always to get its way.

The differences between the US and other places is primarily culture, not the laws per se.

Take guns for example. The US has more guns per capita than any other country. However, for example, Switzerland has about 50% of the US per capita with France, Norway, Germany, et al. about 33% of the US per capita. Gun homicide in these other countries is considerably less than proportional to number of guns per capita relative to the US.

Point being, what happens in Europe and other regions or countries isn't a clear indicator of how it will go here, regardless of more or less liberal laws for same/similar things.

Take guns for example. The US has more guns per capita than any other country. However, for example, Switzerland has about 50% of the US per capita with France, Norway, Germany, et al. about 33% of the US per capita. Gun homicide in these other countries is considerably less than proportional to number of guns per capita relative to the US.

huh???

I think the point is that while these other counties have both less guns per capita and less gun violence per capita than the US, the decrease in one isn't proportional to the decrease in the other, suggesting its more than just gun ownership, ie cultural. And the same could be inferred for drinking age.

Good point! I get into it with a coworker about the "alcohol is a sin" thing all the time, I just ask him to show me in the Bible where it says that...he hasn't come up with anything yet. I just don't understand where this radical thinking has any basis in our society (both left and right), the vocal minority seems always to get its way.

He won't, the only talk of alcohol in those books is that of imbibing, not sinning. That's a whole other discussion though, one could fill libraries with the contradictions of a "literal" translation of most any religious text.

You make a great point about radical views being the ones that are heard the most, it's always the vocal minority that gets heard over the voice of reason when it comes to these things. Sadly, in this age of reality television and myfacespace, drama and lunacy is always going to win out over calm and reason. That and people would much rather glean knowledge from television than a book, so there's that issue as well.

I think the point is that while these other counties have both less guns per capita and less gun violence per capita than the US, the decrease in one isn't proportional to the decrease in the other, suggesting its more than just gun ownership, ie cultural. And the same could be inferred for drinking age.

Yes, that is the point. It is more, way more, than just access/availability and laws. I think it is predominantly culture.

Back