Moving the SCOBY during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7ways

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering why one should not move the SCOBY before the batch is finished. I have been told not to, but can't figure out why.

I have a five gallon batch that is now 19 days old. It is not nearly as sour as I'd like. I made a 1 gallon batch with the exact same recipe/proportions and temp (~76*F), and it was puckering after 10 days.

I have had to agitate the SCOBY often to sample and stick an aeration wand in to try to get things moving. Could moving it cause fermentation to stall, or does it just result in an uglier daughter culture? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks.

Unless you have a huge scoby, I think it will take a lot longer than your one gallon batch. I new to the whole works too.

The scoby is about 12 inches in diameter, I thought it would be big enough.

Now, only 3 days after my first post, it is starting to sour up, and I'm pretty happy with it. I guess a larger volume just takes more time.

I think there is a relation to the surface area of the scoby vs the volume of liquid(in regards to fermentation time). If the area:volume was greater in the 1 gallon batch, that would make sense.

I'd leave it alone.

Back