IPA Extract Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briggery16

Reaction score
It says nothing about dry hopping. I have 2oz cascade for bittering. 1oz cascade for aroma. And 1.5oz Columbus for bittering. Should I dry hop or go with the instructions?

When you say "I have" these hops do you mean in addition to what the kit includes? I'd probably say yes to dry hopping with your own hops, but no to making other hop changes.

I personally do not strain hop pellets. When I use leaves, I do.

Alright, any suggestions for dry-hopping hops and weight? And when I say "I Have", I mean that is what came with the kit.

In that case I say go with the instructions.

If you are really looking for more hop aroma, I would dry hop with an additional ounce of cascade. Totally optional though. There is no need to strain pellet hops, let them carry through and they will settle out just fine.

It's an IPA. Dryhop that mother******, she wants it, she needs it. 2 oz cascade dumped in the primary with 10 days left. Put a mesh bag over your autosiphon intake when you CAREFULLY rack out of your fermenter and it'll strain out the dry hops as well as the ones from the boil which completely aren't worth trying to strain out any time before that. Most of the hops will be sitting in the trub, the mesh is just to catch any that aren't. A cold crash would help with all this.

I'm new to all this lingo, I plan on dry hopping if not now then next time. Define cold crash please Haha

cold crash means chilling the fermenter down (lowe 30s?) to make the yeast go to sleep and fall out of suspension, resulting in clearer beer when you rack it

The kit has 2oz cascade for bittering along with 1.5oz of columbus? That sounds like way too much to me. What's the gravity and is this partial or full boil?

As far as cold crashing goes - I dont have a fridge for my fermenter. So I use a big cooler and fill it with ice from the gas station (and some from freezer) for 48 hours of cold crashing. Only costs 4bucks and I think it's probably worth it. Hope that helps.

Back