New Castle Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
I want to make a New Castle Clone before my brother comes out to visit. He drinks this beer religiously. Does anyone know if the book clonebrew has the recipe in a 5 gallon batch using LME? I don't know how to make beer using all grain yet and I haven't seen the book before. I will be buying it though in the next day or two. Also, has anyone made it, and how did it turn out?

Thanks

The Barons Brown Ale kit brew is very similar to NewCastle Brown. You can order it off the internet from all sorts of places.

Just bought the book from Austin Homebrew Supply. I needed a hydrometer too since my son had broke mine. Then I saw free shipping over $ 60.00 so I bought some star san, and clone kit of Boddingtons Pub Ale. They have a New Castle kit but I want to make that one without using a kit I think.

thanks

El Pistolero said:
Clone Brews has Newcastle Brown Ale.

This is the recipe I got from AHB:

Bring water to 155F turn off heat
1/8lb Crystal 60L
1/8lb Chocolate

Soak for 15 mins

Remove and bring to a boil, turn off heat and add

6 1/2 lb Pale Extract

3/4 oz Target for 60 mins
1/2 oz East Kent Golding for last 15 mins

White Labs - British Ale
Wyest - British Ale 1098
Dry Yeast - Windsor

yeah, those are the hops.

In general, each type of hop has an established AA%. It might fluxuate from year to year, but will remain pretty close to the baseline.

In my handy reference materials, I see these AA%'s for those two types of hops:

EK Goldings is appx 5.5% (range from 4% to 7%)
Target is appx 12% (range 10.5% to 13.5%)

-walker

Back