Kit came with nugget instead of hallertau hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamb258

Reaction score
I ordered the Autumn Amber Ale, for my first home brew, from midwest and noticed their ingredient list called for 1 oz of fuggle and 1 oz of hallertau hops. When I opened the box it actually had 1 oz of fuggle and .5 oz of nugget. Will this be alright or should I call midwest? I know that its substituting .5 oz of 12%AAU (nugget) for 1 oz of 5.5%AAU (hallertau) so that is pretty close but this is my first brew and still dont know all the flavor/aroma profiles of the different hops.

I appreciate the help.

Adam

I'm speculating here - it sounds like there's a shortage on Hallertau, and they made a substitution. If that were the case, they should have asked you first, before just sending it out.

Give them a call, find out what's up.

Yes, the nugget is for bittering. I am fine with it as long as it will still be good for the beer. This will be my first homebrew so I am not dead-set on any specific ingredients, just want to make sure it will turn out good this way.

I will give midwestern a call in a little while.

Yes, the nugget is for bittering. I am fine with it as long as it will still be good for the beer. This will be my first homebrew so I am not dead-set on any specific ingredients, just want to make sure it will turn out good this way.

I will give midwestern a call in a little while.

Bittering hops provide bittering, but really no flavor. They are not necessarily interchangeable (some hops are a bit harsher) but you won't be able to tell the difference between bittering with the nugget vs. the hallertauer.

I talked to midwest and there was a mixup in packaging so they are sending my the oz of hallertau. Very nice and easy to deal with.

I talked to midwest and there was a mixup in packaging so they are sending my the oz of hallertau. Very nice and easy to deal with.

Great! Now you have the nugget for your next beer! How about an American pale ale, using nugget for bittering and then some cascade hops for flavor and aroma?

Back