Oatmeal stout- how long in primary, how long in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggs

Reaction score
I'm a complete newb here...this is only my second time brewing. I used a kit that had some specialty grains, dry extract and liquid extract. This is my first attempt at a stout (first brew was an IPA).

Just wondering if some more experienced brewers could lend their two cents. How long would you recommend an oatmeal stout staying in the primary? And not to start a debate here, but should I use a secondary? How long would you recommend bottle conditioning?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards 1 month in the primary, 1 month of bottle conditioning, no secondary.

Thanks for any feedback/help.:mug:

For a regular-sized stout (not an imperial or other big 'n burly high alcohol version) three to four weeks in primary is good.

There is no answer to your question regarding using a secondary or bright tank. For what it's worth, I will often primary for four weeks, put in a bright tank for a couple weeks, then bottle.

As for bottling, your stout will likely be carbonated sooner than four weeks, but you may find that they develop some in the bottle. You can let your taste buds be your guide.

Thanks, pappers. I guess my only question is, when it comes to the secondary idea, for a dark beer like an oatmeal stout- would secondary/clarification actually be a bad thing?

Muggs, secondary/bright tank is completely optional and many don't use it at all. While clarifying may not be as noticeable in a darker beer, it will also not affect the color - just clarify it. For your oatmeal stout, not using a secondary/bright sounds just fine.

My $0.02...Primary for 4 weeks. Then bottle, let sit in bottles for like 4 weeks before trying it.

If you decide to go with the secondary, then you don't really have to let it sit forever in the bottles, just till it's carbed. Either way, my usual plan for a stout like this is 8 weeks from brew date till it tastes proper. Any earlier and you will notice the flavor change and regret drinking them so early.

Back