No bubbles or Krausen in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwangnyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I moved my orange pale into the secondary yesterday and today no bubbles or Krausen in it at all is this normal?

Yup. Secondary "fermentation" is a little of a misnomer. The beer is clearing and aging, but nor really fermenting. If you do see activity, it's usually because you racked too soon. The only time where an actual fermentation happens in the secondary is when you add fruit, or some other fermentable to the secondary.

Yep, secondary is pretty lame.

You might see a bubble or two if you are able to sit there for long enough. Chances are you won't. This stage is mostly for clearing.

Cheers!

Yup - just leave it in there for 2 weeks. If your watching/waiting for something to happen, you're going to be waiting for a whole lot of nothin'.

Rack to secondary = "set-it & forget-it" (for 2 weeks)

Looks like I am bucking the trend here. I usually rack whem I am seeing 2 bbl/min or so, so I get some fermentation in the secondary. I want a day or two on slow fermentation to happen to build a CO2 layer on top of the beer.

Secondary is a hold-over from wine making, where you (for reds) do a ferment on the skins and then rack it to complete the ferment. In brewing, you rack from the fermenter to a clearing (bright) tank after the ferment is complete. So, it's rare (but not unheard of) to see any fermentation in the clearing tank.

However, I don't think we will ever get rid of this confusing term.

Back