1st time dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave mine about a week or 10 days. That means I usually rack onto them, but if I'm adding them into the secondary after I racked, I gently drop them in.

I'm racking from a primary bucket. It will be 2 weeks when I rack and I'm racking to another bucket. Just starting, no carboys yet. So I put them in before I transfer?

I'm racking from a primary bucket. It will be 2 weeks when I rack and I'm racking to another bucket. Just starting, no carboys yet. So I put them in before I transfer?

Yep, plop em in before or after you rack- it doesn't really matter. I'd say, depending on what you are doing, leave the hops in for 5-10 days if you're brewing a pale ale (so wait until you only need 5-10 days left before racking) or if you are brewing an IPA or IIPA, I'd say leave em in 5-14 days and be sure to adjust your racking to the amount of time you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. The longer you leave em, the stronger it'll be. In my experience, it is best to bottle the beer at the point you want to stop dry-hopping (e.g. for 7 days, etc.) for best aroma and results.

Back