Head Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigin31

Reaction score
I brewed about 3 gallons and poured it into my fermenter. I had little activity in the airlock but took a peak and saw alot of krausen. Originally I had put 3 gals of wort into a 5 gallon bucket. Will the excess headspace in the bucket effect my fermentation?

No it will not effect your fermentation,

The extra head space should keep you from needing a blow off tube.

the Air lock is not a valid sign of fermentation, the Krausen is a very good sign of active and healthy fermentation!!

Ignore it for several more weeks, and you are on your way to having a great beer

Awesome. Thanks Cheeto. I posted elsewhere I had concerns for other reasons but no need to discuss them if krausen is the tell tale sign.

Yep Cheeto is correct. The Co2 given off during fermentation will take up the excess head space. I primary all of my 2.5 gallon beers in a 5 gallon carboy and have not had any problems.

The air lock is not a reliable sign of fermentation, but Krausen is a good sign. The only way to be certain however is using the Hydrometer. Let it go for a week or so then check the gravity. 3 straight days/reading the same and fermentation should be done.

Latest posts

Back