Yet another Yeast Question (but not starter realted)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked a Saison to the Secondary on Sunday and poured the yeast/wort/trub mix into a saitized Mason jar. So my question is how long will the yeast stay good for? I am assuming that it is ok since it is like a mini brew in the carboy with the exception that no CO2 is being released. I am going to try and wash it this weekend. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Zman

Bobby_M posted a thread about a week ago using a year old properly stored tube with a starter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

I've used nearly a year old tube (it was a couple months outdated and sat in my fridge for another 6 months or so) myself with no problems...The biggest thing besides applying the puke test with using outdated yeast is to Plan enough time to incrementally build up a huge starter.

Just like we can build up a starter by harvesting a scant few cells out of a bottle, outdated yeast can be used, because you will reproduce the healthy still alive cells.

My lhbs sells outdated tubes and smack packs dirt cheap....

Oh and there's this whole pre-historic yeast thing going on...

Food In The Fort » Old yeast. New Beer.

So anywhere from a year, to 45 million if stored properly.:D

Back