Ideal Ambient Temp for Ales in Temp Controlled Environment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer with a JC controller. Don't have a strip thermometer yet so best I can do is measure ambient with the JC probe. Wondering where most people with a similar setup set their JC or Ronco controllers for ales? 64? lower?

Depends mostly on the strain of yeast you're using, and somewhat on the recipe. For some beers, esters produced by the yeast at higher temperatures can be desireable. For others, they are unwelcome. Put your yeast at a temperature they are comfortable with, preferably at the lower end of the scale, and leave them alone until they're done.

The exception to this, of course, is Belgian style beers. Those you'll probably want to ramp up the temp on gradually.

Thanks, I definitely understand that it depends on the yeast, did not do a good job of asking my original question. Let's assume ideal fermentation temp is 68-70 for my yeast, would you set controller at 64, 62, 60? It has a 4 degree swing.

With a JC the swing is to the upside. So, I set mine to the lowest end of "ideal". Ambient air temp ramps quicker than the liquid will so the controller will kick in well before the wort climbs 4 degrees.

Thanks, I definitely understand that it depends on the yeast, did not do a good job of asking my original question. Let's assume ideal fermentation temp is 68-70 for my yeast, would you set controller at 64, 62, 60? It has a 4 degree swing.

For my setup (temp controlled wine fridge)and a beer I want fermented at 68F,I pitch the yeast at 62F and put it in the fridge set at 65F and it will usually ferment around 68 as measured thru the kraeusen.I just posted results about this in another thread and will link it for you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/fe...utside-fermenter-inside-high-kraeusen-117759/
Just keep in mind that if you pitch the yeast above the wanted ferm. temp or close to it that it is possible that it will rise above the recommended range.This is why I think you should pitch below the range and let it rise into the proper temp range.And all ferms are different.Just keep a close watch on it and see what happens.What works for me may not be ideal for you.I think this is why people are reluctant to say "DO THIS"Good luck dialing it in.:mug:

Back