P.E.T is this the future?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starnski

Reaction score
I ended up with a case of 12 oz pet bottles by mistake, my brew shop sent the wrong stuff, I called them they fixed the mistake. But i now have 24 dark brown soda bottles. So last week when i bottled my Blonde Ale i loaded one of the pet bottles up to see if it is going to work.

Is glass going the way of the goonly bird, in 20 years will we be tailing storys about when we brewed or bottled in GLASS?

I normally use 1 Ltr PET's. I like it for the quick & easy bottling. Not to mention I can tell SWMBO that I'm only having one. :D

They are also good for beginners, no bottle bombs. Gushers instead!!! :mug:

Am I the only person here who has no idea wtf pet bottles are???? They must be plastic. Do any products at the supermarket use them? Or the beer store?

I think the better bottles are made of PET. I'm thinking about ditchign all of my glass carboys from the brewery (use them for mead) and going with better bottles. Safer, easy to use.

PET = polyethylene terephthalate
Pets = greyhounds, finches, gerbils, not certain if undomesticated wall spiders count.

Better Bottles are made of PET, as are almost all transparent "plastic" bottles. The oxygen-blocking ability of a specific bottle depends on PET density and wall thickness. Light blocking depends on color. I suspect brown PET bottles manufactured for the brewing industry will serve the purpose. Considering I bust about 5% of the bottles I cap (I don't bottle much, just for friends).

I think that while PET bottles may gain a foothold as fermentation vessels (I use Better Bottles, even for my mead, and it looks like other people are starting to also), but I don't think that plastic bottled beers will be sold commercially (large scale) for a long time.

There is way to much of a stigma associated with plastic (it even affects aluminum to some degree). People just don't expect good craft beers to be bottled in anything but glass.

I think that the effect is most noticable in the wine industry, as it is exceptionally slow to make any changes. No matter how great the wine is, if it comes in a can, or a plastic bottle, people don't want it. Even if it is cheaper. The same goes for artificial corks (which, after over a decade are still not widely adopted, despite the advantages), and screw tops. Many of these innovations actually perform better at storing the wine than the glass bottles do. Look at wine in a box for a good example. The wine is kept in an oxygen-barrier bag with a spout on it. As it is dispensed, the bag collapses so that the wine never comes in contact with oxygen. The wine can then keep longer without oxidizing and showing off flavors.

Plastic bottles would seem to be a great thing to breweries though, they would be cheaper, easier to handle (no breaking) and much easier to make. For the homebrewer, the bottles have all of those advantages, plus they are easier to clean/sanitize and easier to cap. The only thing that keeps this stuff from being adopted is the stigma that plastic has in the consumer's mind.

Personally, I like the weight and feel of a glass bottle in my hand. Of course, my brews are bottle conditioned and I can't drink directly from the bottle, so I suppose I wouldn't notice anything if I switched to glass.

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

glibbidy said:
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Which is another reason why we will never be free of oil...plastic is a petroleum product.;)

In my world it's illegal to drink alcohol from plastic cups...glass only.

One of the oddities I observed in moving from California to Oregon, in CA brewfests use glass, in Oregon they use plastic. I think it's because in Oregon the samples are rarely in the mug for more than a few seconds.

starnski said:
Thanks dave i agree...................I will see if its worth a darn!
---------------------------------------------
primary. nada
sec. nada
drinking west coast blonde ale.

Only thing I'm going to say good about PET is that's the way to go if you have bottle bombs. Otherwise, I prefer glass as more durable, sanitize easier.

Genghis77 said:
Only thing I'm going to say good about PET is that's the way to go if you have bottle bombs. Otherwise, I prefer glass as more durable, sanitize easier.
Unless you are heat sterilizing, then I believe that plastic is actually easier. The only thing that causes problems is that scratches will render the plastic useless. Consequently, you cannot use a bottle brush to clean the bottles. Luckily, PET does not build up hydrophillic films on it's surface like glass does, so it is quite easy to simply rinse it out. No scrubbing required.

I speak with absolutely no experience, as I am still drinking my first batch of kit beer (which is still green, incidentally. :) ) The Coopers kit that I received for my birthday came with 30 700(ish)mL PET bottles and caps. I found them to be very easy to bottle into, and the caps are simple to put on. They don't break, and I'm under the impression that if I rinse them after use and sterilize them before my next bottling that I should be ok. I'm planning on purchasing another 30 when the batch I have brewing is finished. Are there any real advantages in moving to glass? I'm far from a purist, and as a few have pointed out here, I'm not going to drink straight from the bottle anyway (or at least not until I'm way too drunk to taste the beer.)

Latest posts

Back