Propane Burner/Turkey Fryers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18rocks

Reaction score
Please help me determine the "best bang for my buck" burner/fryer to do outdoor full boils and all grain.

I want to get the cheapest burner (I don't really need a fryer setup, I have keggles) with the most BTU. I see some on craigslist, but everyone wants to sell for more than retail. I want to minimize my boil time; therefore, understand that I need high pressure propane, big BTU, right?

What is the minimum "big BTU"? Seems like 60,000 is cheaper models and not enough BTU. 200,000 for the big boys which seem pricey. Is there any tweeners? Thanks!

I posted this on the Banjo vs Hurricane thread. Maybe we can both get an answer here.

OK Guys,
I've read all of the burner threads I can find. I'm building a 3 tier system using the same dimensions as Nick's (25"T X 22"W X62"L). I will be using propane. I will currently be brewing 10 gal. AG with the possibility of going larger. What do ya'll think for burners and why? Thanks for the help - Dwain

I have ur basic turkey fryer burner, I think it is about 120,000 btus. This seems to be plenty of fire for me (10gal), and i can turn it down low once i get the boil going. Try to get a burner with a needle valve, it will allow you to adjust the flame lower. I found mine at walmart for about $25, with stand and pot. Good luck, and happy brewing :mug:

I have a bayou burner and it's more than sufficient -- gets 10 gallons rolling to a boil quickly.

I'd say that generally, you can't get too 'weak' of a propane burner -- just don't get a jet burner where the gas only comes out of one place and you will be fine.

I think you would want to go with an SQ14 or similar at a minimum. There's always a Banjo. I have the cheapo Turkey Fryer kit and the SP10 that comes with it is good for that 7.5g pot, but I just bought a 12.5g pot from instawares and the burner can't bring it to a boil. I would say drop the coin on a banjo if you can, you'll never have to worry about not having enough juice.

Back