1/2" tubing / Camlocks on Mash Tun = Stuck Mash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
After switching over to the Cam Locks (btw---amazing product) with 1/2" street elbows for low restriction and 1/2" silicone tubing I have been getting stuck mashes. I've brewed 20+ batches on my cooler with no problems and the last two batches with camlocks I've had stuck mashes. The strainer assembly is 1/2" stainless tubing with holes drilled in it if that matters. My guess to the problem is that the higher flowrate makes the hole velocity too high and is pulling in particles. Has anyone had this problem when switching over? Maybe I just need to drill twice as many holes to drop the hole velocity down. One thing to mention is that last recipe that stuck was the Jamil dry stout which has the flaked barley ground in a coffee grinder which definitely didn't help.

You are running off to fast - reduce your run off rate.
+1 to this. I use 1/2" silicone tubing and I have done away with my false bottom (only use a little sink strainer over my exit port hole in the center bottom of my MLT). I barely open my valve until the hole tubing is filled with wort, then I start opening more. I am going back to using a grant instead of directly hooked up to a pump due to sticking mashes. Gravity into a bucket and pumping from there is much more gentle on the mash than even restricting a pumps suction. I had never had a stuck mash until I thought I didn't need my grant anymore. I Has Learned!:mug: Go slow no matter your setup and you will be thankful for it.:ban:

I'd recommend slotting that tubing rather than stick with round holes. Much of the crushed grain is like cone shapes plugs that tend to block off round holes easily. Not so much with slots. Of course, this recommendation is based on general description but a picture of that tube would help out a lot.

Back