Easy way to clean a blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So I just cooked up my first batch on Saturday.. I just took my blow off tube out and it is nasty.

Is there an easy way to clean it out or would it be better for me just to buy another 4 feet for next time?

I fill mine up with soapy water and let it sit overnight. Then rinse with hot water. I also have a long brush that I can take through it if it's real nasty. The most important thing is to take it off and replace with the airlock as soon as possible(once fermentation slows down) and clean it right away.

I usually flush as much of the loose stuff out as I can, then stick it in a bucket filled with oxyclean & water for a day or 2. That usually works well.

Thanks to this board I FINALLY found a good way to clean mine (after almost a decade of brewing). Go to the store and pick up a can of Oxy Clean, rinse most of the gunk out of the tube, invert it in your kitchen sink, put about 1/4 of a scoop of Oxy Clean in the tube, then fill with warm water and let sit for a few hours. I follow up with pushing a wadded up piece of t-shirt material through the tube with a long dowel and WHOO-LAAH - the tube is as clean as the day I bought it. Just sanitize right before the next use.

Dan

Usually I use oxyclean or bleach soaks, if it is really nasty I run a string down it, tie on a piece of paper towel and pull it through.

a new tube every brew would add up. Granted not all that much; but cleaning, just like sanitizing, is part of the ritual of HomeBrew no?

cool.. thanks for the advice.

I don't have any oxyclean, but I am letting it soak in a bucket of bleach water right now.

Back