Is Alumminum safe for a HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that alumminum is not a good idea to boil in because it puts aluminum into your beer...but is it ok to use as a HLT? I am making my brew system and don't want to buy a brand new pot if i don't have to :mug:

Seriously. I'm an aluminum believer. I've been doing 5 gallon batches in an aluminum kettle now for about 7 batches and I just bought a 60 quart aluminum kettle for 10 gallon batches for like $80. The 7 gallon is now my HLT.

I just got a 10 gallon Aluminum pot after using SS exclusively in prior batches. It's awesome...10 gallon pot for $45 shipped from Sams Club. Can't beat it.

Which vendor or purchaser of a stainless kettle told you that gigantic lie?

Cooking with aluminum, or storing your food in aluminum and later consuming that food will positively increase your exposure to and intake of aluminum into your body. There is no arguing this fact unless the aluminum is coated in a non-seeping compound.

However, it is arguable whether this is something that is healthy or harmful. Aluminum is in the air you breath, many of the medicines you may take, the anti-persperant deodorant you may use, etc. You are exposed to it without even knowing it. As with most heavy metals that may enter your body, aluminum is one that you may or may not wish to limit your exposure to. I myself choose not to cook with it as that is one way that I can minimize my exposure to it. Having said that, I have no statistical data that tells me if my current exposure level is healthy or unhealthy. I merely choose the path of moderation.

We've pretty much debunked the danger of using them to death. Hell even John Palmer, the author of a little book that no one around here's prolly heard of :rolleyes: happens to be a metallurgist by trade, and he says it's ok.

No one thaught to look at the faq. or do a search to see what info's here?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Search Results for Aluminum

FOr those of you too lazy to click on linky's

Myths About Aluminum Pots:
- Aluminum pots will cause Alzheimer's disease. FALSE. This myth was debunked years ago by the medical research community, and the US National Institutes of Health and Health Canada have long since ruled out a connection between Alzheimer’s disease and aluminum cookware. If you don’t believe me, see the following:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99
http://alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/alzheimers.htm

- Boiling your wort in an aluminum pot will cause off-flavours in your beer. FALSE. Simply boiling a batch of wort will not remove enough metal from your aluminum pot to get into your beer and cause metallic off flavours, particularly if you build up a passive oxide layer inside the pot first. For new pots, this is easily achieved by either boiling the pot full of water for 30 mins to one hour, or by putting it in your oven for 10 mins at 350 F.

- Aluminum pots have very thin walls, and are not suitable for a boil kettle, particularly if you want to install a ball valve. FALSE. Thin- and thick-walled pots are made from both aluminum and stainless steel. The material they are made from is much less relevant that the thickness of the pot.

- Aluminum pots will react with very acidic materials, and wort is acidic. NOT REALLY. Wort isn’t acidic enough to cause a problem with an aluminum pot. In fact, both SS and aluminum are quite resistant to acidic materials, and you need to be concerned more about highly alkaline (i.e. basic or high pH) materials with your pots.

- Aluminum pots are simply not as durable as SS pots, so why bother, plus they will scratch easily and harbor bacteria. PERHAPS, BUT... Both aluminum and SS are durable enough for homebrewing if you are willing to invest just a small amount of care for your equipment. You simply aren’t going to wear out an aluminum pot in your brewing lifetime, so this is a moot argument. Furthermore, scratches aren’t really a concern with a kettle since the heat of the boil is going to sanitize it anyways.

The Bottom Line:

You can’t go wrong with a quality stainless steel pot, and they are a tried-and-true solution for lots of homebrewers. Yet, aluminum is a viable alternative that is much less expensive than SS. In fact, you can generally purchase a larger and heavier aluminum pot compared to the equivalently priced SS pot. In homebrewing, I guarantee you will really appreciate having a larger pot that is heavy and conducts heat well, speeding our boiling and cooling times and reducing scorching. In my mind, this far outweighs the cosmetic appeal and somewhat higher durability of a SS pot.

No one thaught to look at the faq. or do a search to see what info's here?

Yep, some have. But why should that stop someone from supplying personal opinion or opinion not associated with previous posted opinion? Though I am certain many who have been here for some time could be a bit put off by questions being raised over and over and over and over and over again. :p

Yep, some have. But why should that stop someone from supplying personal opinion or opinion not associated with previous posted opinion? Though I am certain many who have been here for some time could be a bit put off by questions being raised over and over and over and over and over again. :p

But you do notice that there's only 10 posts on this thread?...Not a heck of a discusion...because it's been talked to death already. I'm just saying if you want information, or to see the opinions already posted then look at the discussions already had on the subject. In fact there's plenty of single issue threads where the discussion continues in one place already....Like the mr. beer thread, or the quick and dirty cooler conversion thread. If people have further questions/info they add to that thread...

If you guys just want to offer your opinions then have at it...if you want to actually learn something...I offered the links....

:mug:

This is covered in the FAQs that others have kindly linked to above, but I want to repeat it to drive the point home:

The key to safely using Aluminum is simply to build a passive oxide layer by boiling water for an hour, and then in the future, by not using caustic cleaners/etc (read: undiluted STAR SAN, among others) on them. The cleaner will strip the oxide layer, and you'll need to re-establish it. (Key word caustic: This is why wort is still fine when boiled in aluminum.)

But as long as you have an oxide layer, you are fine.

I think that sums this subject up completely.

Edit: Did not want to be mis-construed, so replaced wording "Strong acid" with "caustic" for accuracy.

Strong acid != Caustic
It's exactly the opposite. Caustic solutions are very basic.
You mean, "corrosive."

Hence the correction. Sorry - my chem skills are absolute ****e, I'll admit it. (That was the first class I ever failed. It brings back such memories.)

Because when you are talking about something like this, no one want's 'opinions'. They want facts, not urban legends, and what someone might have heard once upon a time.

Back