Settling in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeF151

Reaction score
I bottled my beers about a week ago and there is a good amount of off white something settled at the bottom of the bottles. What is it and what can i do about it?

It's called homebrewing my friend;)

It's yeast and protiens falling out of solution, and it's part of the game. Always pour your beer into a glass slowly, and leave the last 1/2 inch in the bottom of the bottle

What can you do about it? Start kegging.

Thanks, you'd think the book my kit came with would mention something about that haha

If its that thin little black 'basic' home brewing book...it leaves a LOT to be desired ;)

does this white somthing occur when bottling all homebrews? is it bad to drink? lets say if your drinking out of the bottle instead of pouring it into a glass?

Its yeast, its like a little sign saying look Im really homebrew.

I typically do not pour in into my glass unless its a Hef.

You'll find a huge majority of homebrewers do not recommend drinking out of a bottle for two reasons. It doesn't allow you to decant off the sediment and it doesn't allow you to get the full aroma experience.

so why is it that more commercially bottled beers dont have the yeast buildup at the bottom??

volcom579 said:
so why is it that more commercially bottled beers dont have the yeast buildup at the bottom??

Because they've been filtered and force carbonated with CO2 from a tank.

You'll find a few that are bottle conditioned however, especially Belgians.

Back