You could put someone's eye out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Just opened the first beer of the 2nd Farmhouse/Saison batch.

Yowza! The swing top was blown clean off the bottle! I wonder if I may have over-carbonated? With the (Grolsch) bottle half empty it was still foaming out the top.

As for the beer, it sucks; sour and tangy. The specs on the yeast, Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison, said it could ferment up to 85F. Actual temp was every bit of that, maybe even 90 at times.

This beer was bottled 5 weeks ago after four weeks in secondary. I'll give it another couple months to mellow out. If not, I guess there will be a party for the critters in my lawn.

Next summer, no experimentation with hot-fermenting yeast strains. both batches were crap. Back to a fan and a wet towel.

Fortunately for me I live in Ohio and have a basement that's 68F in the summer and 64F in the winter. I never have to mess with such things. :rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
Fortunately for me I live in Ohio and have a basement that's 68F in the summer and 64F in the winter. I never have to mess with such things. :rockin:

Yeah, we don't have basements in alabama. You'd think Jesus said he hated them in The Bible or something. Not a basement in the whole state. I envy you yankees and your basements and walk in attics :(

Back