CO2 Tank Refill in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redline

Reaction score
Anyone know a shop/store near Vancouver that does CO2 tank fills?

I believe Dan's Homebrew only does exchanges, but I own my own tank and don't want to exchange.

Thanks for the help.

Seeing as there's no replies, I'll post what I've found so far incase anyone else in the 604 is wondering. Dan's does in fact only do exchanges.

There is a military supply shop downtown called Camouflage that apparently does refills. I haven't been yet, but will go this week and report back on my findings. Supposedly its about $5.

Update - Unfortunately the person I spoke with on the phone at Camoflauge misunderstood, they only have liquid CO2, same with all the local Paintball shops....so I'm back to desperately searching.

Please help - anyone know anywhere in the Lower Mainland to get gas CO2 tanks filled?!?

So far in pg I've only been able to get fills at welding gas shops (praxair) but you may need to use a business name and pay cash. And remember it is not for human consumption when they ask, they can't legally fill if u say it is. Also it is not all that cheap $45 for a 5#. Hope that helps

DBC Marine in Delta will fill and inspect CO2 tanks.
1689 Cliveden avenue
Delta, b.c.
Ph: 604 278 3221

Thanks guys - ended up going to Royal City Fire Supplies in New West (http://www.royalcityfiresupplies.com/). Cost me $20 to get my 5lb tank filled, took less than 5 mins. They also do hydro-static testing for $20, which should be done every 5 years according to the lady at the store. Apparently they get quite a lot of the homebrew crowd there.

I called DBC Marine and they also do tanks for approx. $20, they weren't open to today so I went to Royal City.

Cheers.

Iv been getting my paintball tanks filled at kms for a couple years now and no ill affects from using them to serve beer.

I finally found a place that refills "beverage grade" CO2 in the lower mainland ( I had a 20lb tank filled).

I asked them about "beverage grade" CO2 and the said the filling equipment is all stainless steel.

The idea of beverage grade seems to be controversial, but I was glad that they actually say its beverage grade.

Anyways.. was good enough for me.

The name of the place is Metaltropolis Supplies Ltd in Maple Ridge (just off the north end of the Golden Ears bridge).

I paid $41.25 to fill a 20lb tank. They can refill your own tank but you have to leave it for up to a week. If you exchange your tank, it may be immediate. Supposedly their tanks are all less than a year old.

co2 is co2 , the only thing that makes it food grade is the cylinder. steel cylinders can have rust in it. alum is why they can call it food safe.
co2 is in liquid form, and naturally turns to gas.that's why the cylinders are rated in lbs
To transfer co2 from one tank to another, the correct industrial way is by a liquid pump. the way it can be done with out a pump is by using a syphon tube cylinder that has a copper tube that runs down to the bottom of the tank that draws the liquid up and equilizes the liquid between the two tanks.its not the greatest method , but save on investing in a $800.00 pump.

all co2 cylinders have a 5 year cylinder re test date is because of the contents are in liquid form. most gas cylinders have a 10 year, unless it is a medical cylinder

There is a place in Port Moody called AW Fireguard they will fill CO2 tanks for home brewers for $20 for 10lb take cash and go to the back alley! ;)

HVAC supply places carry 10lb and 20lb tanks for exchange. Make sure to say it's a cash account.

Does anyone know if any of the places mentioned above do Beer Gas (75% nitrogen / 25% CO2) or even know of any places in Vancouver who do Beer Gas/Nitrogen Tank sales?

Bosa grape in Burnaby lists beer gas and co2 refills on their website. I have been getting my co2 filled at a fire and safety shop in Langley. When I get my nitrogen set up I will give Bosa grape a call and see if they do indeed refill them.

Bosa grape in Burnaby lists beer gas and co2 refills on their website. I have been getting my co2 filled at a fire and safety shop in Langley. When I get my nitrogen set up I will give Bosa grape a call and see if they do indeed refill them.

More info on the fire and safety shop in Langley? How much for a fill? I've got a 5lb tank, do they fill on the spot?

Cheers,
G

I believe they're called surrey fire and safety? Located on 56th just west off of 200th street. They take a couple of days to fill and it's about $25. Barleys homebrewing in new Westminster exchanges tanks if you're in a hurry but lat time I was there they only had 10 pounders so call ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Barleys will do 5lb CO2 refills, that's the closest to Vancouver that I've found. Any updates on food grade CO2 fills closer to Van?

Try Praxair in Delta, that is there gas plant with a store front, and they have food safe liquid c02.
they might get you to leave your 10 # or 5 # cylinder and , pick it up later. They have 20# for sale and exchange.

Thanks for the reply, Rexbond007. I had heard that Praxair did food-grade refills/exchanges, but that's still quite a trek! I went out to Barleys today and picked up some ingredients (Barley's carries acidulated malt BTW, Dan's doesn't!) and exchanged my empty 5lb tank for just under $30. The plus side of heading out there is you can stop at Dageraad on the way for a pint and a growler fill :D

If I discover any secret places in the downtown(ish) area, I'll post up here.

Cheers!

goto DBC marine and safety (1689 Cliveden Ave, Delta, BC V3M 6V5) on annicis island, goto the back door and talk to mike. They also sell 20 lb tanks with valve for like 80$ cash. refills are cheap to.

Thanks for the reply, Rexbond007. I had heard that Praxair did food-grade refills/exchanges, but that's still quite a trek! I went out to Barleys today and picked up some ingredients (Barley's carries acidulated malt BTW, Dan's doesn't!) and exchanged my empty 5lb tank for just under $30. The plus side of heading out there is you can stop at Dageraad on the way for a pint and a growler fill :D

If I discover any secret places in the downtown(ish) area, I'll post up here.

Cheers!

Steel & Oak are just down the road, too. :mug:

Happy days at HCMA! Got a keg of Hibiscus Ale from Postmark brewing! My first CO2 forays, i think it's time I seriously consider in investing in a home system to keg my own brew... haha

Untitled-3.jpg

I don't have a tank and I am wondering if its better to exchange tanks or should I purchase my own tank and have it refilled? What is better cost wise overall?

Edit: got a used tank off Craig's list and will exchange it down the street at Dan's homebrew

I know this post is old, just posting up the Hydro test at DBC Marine on Annicis by my school (BCIT) is $25...

As for fill... Unknown. Waiting on the phone call.

Has anyone tried calling any of the sporting goods stores? Places that fill paintball guns and things like that might do fills.

Royal city fire supplies in new west. Or any other fire extinguisher place. Keep in mind in this case it's NOT food grade. No need to debate if it matters or not just saying. All the lhbs shops swap them out but you have to buy a new tank first. Nobody will fill **your** tank with food grade. It's exchange with food grade or get your tank refilled with non food grade. There both the same price basically. Cheers

If I were to open a new food grade liquid CO2 filling station in Vancouver what would be the best venues to reach out to potential customers?

The only people I could think of that would use your filling station would be homebrewers that just bought a brand new co2 tank and didn't wanna swap it out for a used one. pretty small market I would think. Otherwise there's already many much bigger operations that swap tanks for the other 99.9% of people and businesses looking for food grade co2. Cheers

the difference between food grade and non food grade is the greases, seals, o-rings and piping is all food safe. no lubricants are used that aren't food safe, think about the grease you put on your kegs. there is a difference in theory. the oils can evaporate into the gas slowly.

that being said AW fireguard does food safe refills. they built my tank for me and certified it, I asked questions. because they do restaurant fire suppression, they also service their co2 systems for fountain pop, and have enough customers who home brew, I was told they did everything food safe just because it made it easier.

praxair will totally do food safe co2 also, they are usually the supplier for the restaurants. they just may not have it at all locations. also air liquide should have it

I know I am a little late to this thread, but There is a company called Jons Plant Factory on Hastings in Burnaby that does a 20# tank swap for $40.00

goto DBC marine and safety (1689 Cliveden Ave, Delta, BC V3M 6V5) on annicis island, goto the back door and talk to mike. They also sell 20 lb tanks with valve for like 80$ cash. refills are cheap to.

I know this post is old, just posting up the Hydro test at DBC Marine on Annicis by my school (BCIT) is $25...

As for fill... Unknown. Waiting on the phone call.

Just there Tuesday (3/10/20), and yes, they still do refills. Go to bay #7 in the back, that's where the refill station is. BTW, the company name is now Servitec, but they're the same people and quite friendly and helpful.

Just there Tuesday (3/10/20), and yes, they still do refills. Go to bay #7 in the back, that's where the refill station is. BTW, the company name is now Servitec, but they're the same people and quite friendly and helpful.

Thank you! I was there today. The name of the company is "Survitec Group". I bought the filled and hydrostatically tested 10 lbs CO2 canister for 151 CAD.

Same, Went there! I think they're the cheapest in the area.

Question, reliving the thread - For the local Vancouver brewers : Is there a place where you can trade/exchange a steel CO2 tank for an aluminum one?

Anyone know a shop/store near Vancouver that does CO2 tank fills?

I believe Dan's Homebrew only does exchanges, but I own my own tank and don't want to exchange.

Thanks for the help.
For 5lb or larger tanks,
Fairlane Fire Prevention
4877 Hastings St
Burnaby

It’s $30 to refill a 5lb tank.

Unfortunately I have a 13oz (<1lb) tank which has a CGA320 fitting but has a pin, so they can’t refill those. For small tanks, I’m going to take it to

Ambush Paintball
7550 160 St
Surrey BC

They’re open Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm, and it’s $5 to refill a 13oz tank.

For 5lb or larger tanks,
Fairlane Fire Prevention
4877 Hastings St
Burnaby

It’s $30 to refill a 5lb tank.

Unfortunately I have a 13oz (<1lb) tank which has a CGA320 fitting but has a pin, so they can’t refill those. For small tanks, I’m going to take it to

Ambush Paintball
7550 160 St
Surrey BC

They’re open Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm, and it’s $5 to refill a 13oz tank.
Just got my 3x 13oz tanks refilled at Ambush Paintball. Super nice people, and they do a proper job (vent, fill liquid, etc.) however they suggested phoning ahead to see if they have CO2 before coming.

+1 (604) 812-2379

It was $5 for 13oz, a bit more for 20oz., and $10 for 24oz.

They can also refill SodaStream tanks!

I registered and made an account to post here because this thread has been super helpful.

I'm just filling CO2 for a home soda/tonic water/beverage station so learning about that there is food grade/industrial CO2 was pretty important. Having food grade gives me peace of mind of not having to worry about consumption of the CO2.

I went to Royal City Fire Supply in Port Coquitlam where they advised me they supplied food grade CO2. For my new 5lb tank they charged just under $25 before tax and was able to fill it within 5 mins while I waited in their office's reception. Other food grade shops quoted me $35 and required a few days turnaround time.

The shop is a little further for Vancouver folks but it is easy to get to via the hwy being just off the corner of Mary Hill Bypass/Broadway.

praxair will totally do food safe co2 also, they are usually the supplier for the restaurants. they just may not have it at all locations. also air liquide should have it

Btw Praxair and Air Liquide told me they no longer do fills - probably not a service they offer to end consumers.

Latest posts

Back