The Brewer's Resume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
Just something I've been thinking about. Brewing being listed as a hobby, as far as I've read, has connotations of making you seem like a drunk. But I think there's more to it than that.

Let's look at the traits of a consummate homebrewer (YMMV) that you might find advertised toward other fields:

• Able to learn from mistakes
  • Well-read and performs diligent research on relevant topics
  • Interested in trying new things
  • Capable of thinking on feet
  • Persistence in perfecting techniques
  • Improvisation to meet immediate needs
  • Implements cost-saving strategies and waste reduction methods
  • Patience to execute a task over several months
  • Knowledgeable in something more universal than golf; able to chat up clients on the side
  • Drive for greater quality of product
  • Ability to formulate and carry out extensive construction projects independently
  • Appreciation for history of trade and invested in its future
  • Able to document projects efficiently for later use
  • Jack of all trades
  • Works toward a goal
  • Has a taste for good craftsmanship and strives to reach it even if initial products are weak

Potential to get sidetracked for an hour or two each day learning about new brew processes and equipment....

I do agree with your list. I attended college online so I spent a considerable amount of time transferring that time online into real experience for my résumé. In all seriousness what you are doing is worth it, never know how you might be able to relate it.

That's a great post! I think you could add:

*experts in continuous improvement

I interviewed for an internship last year and during the interview was asked what I do for fun/ hobby/ spare time. I told them I brew beer....you could've heard a pin drop except the room was carpeted. My response was brought up later at the end of the internship as if it was some terrible thing to do. I think it was taken as someone else had said here- you brew so you're a drunk. Looking back I wonder what would've happened if I said I make wine (I don't, yet) instead.

I hadn't before thought about the list you've assembled, but I agree with it. I may not say how I've come by these skills but they are definitely worth mentioning. Kyle

I mentioned home brewing as a hobby in a job interview, and I was offered the job. I made the point that brewing is an ongoing learning experience, which is very, very true.

Very good. It's all about how you word these things on a resume. Like that year I was a janitor in college? Nah, I was an environmental service worker!

When I interview candidates I ask about their hobbies. It's amazing how people open up when they talk about their hobbies. You get to the real person. And I get a chance to learn a thing or two... I interviewed a guy who designed, built and flew kites... there's a ton more about kites than I ever thought.

Without hijacking too far, [ncbrewer, bknifefight and ByramMike] illustrated why my experience didn't help me (it may not have hurt either, though). I failed to open up and explain about the hobby, and instead left it awkwardly dangling. Having since learned better I would have shown a passion and understanding of methods, practices, and essentially the whole listed by the OP. Kyle

-cusses like a sailor
-pisses outside
-forgot what i was saying

how come the things i do best are never acknowledged at work?

great post OP. i would agree with everything in your list. not only does brewing teach you about nature, history, science, engineering et.al. it builds some serious character. sort of how you can tell when someone is just bs'ing an asnwer as opposed to a person that knows what they are talking about; starting with the earliest history right up to the cutting edge stuff going on. passion is hard to look past.

with all that said, i'm ready to get out of work for the wkend and drink some damn happy hour beers!
:mug::ban::tank:

Latest posts

Back