Maturing in a HOT climate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jos

Reaction score
Folks,

I'd love to make mead. Honey is cheap and plentiful here. But... mead needs to mature quite some time. And it does prefer a cool place for that. Which is out of the question. I live in Bangkok, temperatures never drop below 30 C - 86 F.
Placing a few kegs in the fridge gives me another headache: my spouse will not agree to that.

What do you American brewers/winemakers/mead brewers do to solve this problem? The southern states have a similar climate as I have.

Thanks for any advice,

Jos
Bangkok, Thailand

No, the fermenting isn't the problem. The high temperature won't do any harmd during the fermentation. After the breweing is completed, I need to bottle, and let the bottles rest for at least 6 months.

And that is where the trouble starts. Brewing 10 liters, I can do. 25? great! But how do I let 10 or 25 bottle mature at a temperature of 15 C? We haven't got 15 C. Only in a fridge. And that is a wee bit expensive.

Short of digging a cellar, you don't have much choice. It's too humid to get any benefit from evaporative cooling, so you are left with refrigeration.

an extra fridge/freezer converted with a temp controller or digging a root cedller or a son of a fermentation chiller are pretty much your only options.
The son of a fermentation isn't that expensive to build, but changing out the bottles of ice could get old really fast for something like a mead. Changing out blocks of ice every day for 6+ months (closer to a year) is some serious commitment.

Back