Champagne Bottles, other 750ml Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
I'm just starting up again after a ~10 year hiatus. In the past my (now long since ex-) girlfriend was a big fan of champagne, so I accumulated a lot of 750 ml champagne bottles.

I had used 12oz bottles and mini-kegs (which I was never really thrilled with), but I was really happy using champagne bottles, since it was a little less work and it's just as much beer as I usually want on a weeknight ;)

I seem to remember that I had to do something to my standard butterfly capper to cap onto champagne bottles. Can anyone help refresh my memory about that?

Also, my friends and I are really into Dogfishhead, in particular their Red & White (and eagerly awaiting the Black & Blue), so we'll probably accumulate a good stock of the bottle they use for that. Anyone bottled to those and have any advice?

Anyone know where to get bottles like that (aside from drinking more R&W, which we DO intend to pursue)? I really like the look of it, and it's brown, which is nicer for beer. It says "SG 10" on the side way down near the bottom and "750ml" on the side opposite that and otherwise doesn't have any markings. They kind of look like champagne bottles but don't have as pronounced a "dome" on the bottom.

Do a little browsing on you're favorite online store and you'll find the difference. Most of the champagne bottles have an different metric diameter. it MIGHT be 31mm.

My choice for bottling is Martinelli's bottles. You know sparkling apple cider. Easily cappable. Right now it the perfect time of year to get them if you know anyone who's getting married. Otherwise gotta wait till christmas. There's always a couple cases to be had after office parties. BTW if you can find and save the little plastic cover that comes with the bottles. It's supposed to help you save the bublles in the cider if you don't drink it all but it works for beer too ;)

I just found out from the LHBS that for the caper, just pull out the metal rounded indentation where it grips the bottom of the bottle out, and spin it 180 degrees. Then you can cap champagne bottles

98EXL said:
I just found out from the LHBS that for the caper, just pull out the metal rounded indentation where it grips the bottom of the bottle out, and spin it 180 degrees. Then you can cap champagne bottles

That sounds like what I did. Thanks! Unfortunately my capper is at my friend's house (ie, our brewery), so I'll have to check it out next time.

Thanks!

So anyone know of where to get bottles like Dogfish Head uses for the Red & White? (Aside from consuming more Red & White?)

They look a bit like champagne bottles but are brown and have a less pronounced dome on the bottom. The mark "SG 10" appears on the side of the bottom way down near the bottom, and opposite that it says 750ml.

Moon

aekdbbop said:
so you are saying that you can cap a champagne bottle with a standard beer capper?

if it has the dual 'grips' (for lack of a better term) then yes

Back