Unboiled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
Just had to run my daughter to the hospital in the middle of a brew session. Was just about to start boil. How long can I let the wort sit and still save the brew?

I really don't have an answer for you but my thinking says brew it. For the small amount of money for the hops and yeast, why not brew it. That is assuming that this is a cheap brew...small amount of hops and dry yeast.

bacteria grow very rapidly in the right environment like warm sugar water (wort) and when they reproduce is when they extract those nasty off flavors.

So to answer your question, I would not want to go more that a few hours unless it was cooled below 80* and kept covered. Once those off flavors are there, boiling it will not remove the taste of Big Foot's Dick out of your wort.

Take a sip, see what it tastes like and make the call.

You are going to be boiling it, so the little amount of bacteria that MAY have taken will be boiled off. You should be fine, I have once mashed the night before, but wort in a bucket, and woke up the next morning to start boil. My beer turned out fine, and I'm sure yours will too.

room temperature, only a few hours. Chilled (refrigerated) it should last a day or 2. i'd still chance brewing it even if it was outside this time frame. You will notice the flavor and can dump it if necessary but I'll bet it will be fine.

Ok, first my daughter is fine thankfully. It was 2 hours at the ER so when I got home the wort was still hot, above 100f, and tasted fine. I finished up like nothing ever happened...now my hopback clogging is an entirely other matter.....thanks everyone!

100 F is perfect for getting the good bugs to work. Spring better then winter. In a couple months I plan to do a wild fermentation by making a starter and keeping about 100 deg outside for a few days.

Back