Dry Hop Experiment with my IPA. Simcoe or Citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
Go with what I know? Try something I have never used?

I split the 10.5 gallon batch into 2 fermenters and am getting ready to dry hop them in their 2 kegs. I was going to dry hop both with Simcoe (2-4 oz.? Could use more if I try the new hop in the other keg).

Went to the LHBS to pick up some whole leaf Simcoe to drop in a bag in the kegs, while there saw they had whole leaf Citra, which I have never used, but tasted in a couple excellent homebrews (an APA and a Wheat).

I could continue on my course and dry hop both with the Simcoe, something I have made before and tastes delicious to me, and have 10.5 gallons of it. Or...

I can do the Simcoe dry hop in one (up to 4 oz.) and the Citra dry hop in another (up to 2 oz.) and have 5.25 gallons of each.

Again, I have not used Citra myself, not sure if I should. What do you know? Also, ideas on amounts for either? If I split the dry hop, I will go all the way with 3-4 oz. of Simcoe in one keg, but not sure about the amount of Citra to dry hop with.

Recipe:
American Indian in London

20# Maris Otter mashed at 154F for one hour.
OG: 1.054 measured. FG: 1.012 measured.
Hops:
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
FWH 2.5 Columbus pellet 14.2
boil 60 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 10 mins 1.0 Ahtanum pellet 5.2
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 10 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 8.8
boil 10 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 8.2
boil 1 min 1.0 Simcoe pellet 12.4
boil 1 min 1.0 Centennial pellet 8.8
boil 1 min 1.0 Amarillo pellet 8.2
boil 1 min 1.0 Ahtanum pellet 5.2
Dry hop?

Thanks guys!

Split it! It'll be good beer either way, and you'll train your palate for future hopping endeavors!

My 2 pennies.

Thanks! I know I am one of *those* guys; asking about trendy hops, but I have a thing for the Simcoe, but have read greatly varying opinions on Citra, from "awesome" to "cat piss," and that's not even the worst one. I got kind of scared off.

I was also thinking that since I used Simcoe in the boil, and no Citra, the Citra DH may not blend with the taste as well. Any truth to that theory?

Any information on amounts you can all give me for both of these varieties as DH?

I made an all citra hopped XPA I really enjoyed. I'd say go for it.

Any pointers to this Wheat/Citra beer? I have a bunch of citra leftover I need to use.

Latest posts

Back