What to do with the leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just transfered from my primary to secondary and I had some wort leftover due to the fact that I had to add some DME. I have it in a growler. My question is can I add a little priming sugar, cap it and let it carbonate in there? I tried to add a picture but I don't think it worked.

Thanks!
EB

IMAG0050.jpg

you added DME to the beer when you transferd from Primary to secondary?
what was the purpose of that? (Im not being a dick, just wondering) Normally its time to transfer to secondary when All fermentation is done, so the beer can clear up in the secondary.

I just transfered from my primary to secondary and I had some wort leftover due to the fact that I had to add some DME. I have it in a growler. My question is can I add a little priming sugar, cap it and let it carbonate in there? I tried to add a picture but I don't think it worked.

Thanks!
EB

yes, you can ( all of the above )

This was a long story. But I made the batch and because my friend did a crappy job of crushing the grain, I had a starting OG of 1.058 when it should have been 1.111 so I have been adding DME to it to raise the final ABV.

This was a long story. But I made the batch and because my friend did a crappy job of crushing the grain, I had a starting OG of 1.058 when it should have been 1.111 so I have been adding DME to it to raise the final ABV.

It doesn't work that way. You need to make a concentrated wort out of the DME and add it to the primary. Sprinkling DME into the secondary is asking for a stuck fermentation.

It doesn't work that way. You need to make a concentrated wort out of the DME and add it to the primary. Sprinkling DME into the secondary is asking for a stuck fermentation.

I have been making a concentrate and adding it. I added a little more concetrate to the secondary when I moved it last night. It is still going I just wanted to get it off the cake.

I have been making a concentrate and adding it. I added a little more concetrate to the secondary when I moved it last night. It is still going I just wanted to get it off the cake.

No need for that. In fact, the cake is mostly the yeast you need to ferment that extra DME. The relatively small amount of DME in the secondary will take a long time to ferment such a large addition of DME and is likely to stall due to stress.

In my experience, you don't run into off-flavors from leaving yeast on the cake until 6 to 12 weeks after pitching, depending on the yeast strain and its health.

Good to know. I am going to leave it in the secondary til this weekend and keg it. This is the second time I have made his batch and it was so good last time. If only I could get the grains crushed better. (I ordered my own barely crusher!)

EB

I like to make an experiment with leftovers like this. Add oak or dry hops or something.

I just added a heaping spoon of Red Raspberry Spread to about 2/3rds quart of wort I poured off the top of a cold crashed yeast cake jar. Wrapped the top in foil and put it away. Why dump it? It is from a Robust Porter I added Oak Chips and honey to the main batch in secondary. We'll see in another month or so how both work out.

I sometimes do different brews in small batches and when bottling I mix the left overs to fill a couple of bottles and call them my Dregs Brews. They all turn out really nice.

Back