More Lagering Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Well, about 7 or 8 weeks ago, I brewed up my first lager - a Vienna Lager. I fermented in primary at about 54 degrees until the gravity reached around 1.016. Then, I did a diacetyl rest for about 2 days until gravity finished at around 1.008 or 9ish. This took around 10 days. Then, I slowly cooled the beer to 33-34 degrees and lagered in my keg fridge for 4 whole weeks - beer was crystal clear and beautiful. About 5 days ago, I put the beer on CO2 to carbonate.

Now for my question -

Do I need to continue letting the beer condition on CO2, or will this lager be drinkable now? I realize that some more time will never hurt the beer, but I would love to serve some at T-Giving dinner. When I brew ales, I secondary for a few weeks and then rack to keg for some CO2. After the beer is carbed, I always try to wait 3-4 weeks for some conditioning (just like I did when bottling). Is this phase necessary with lagers that are force carbed?

I guess that the only true answer will come from tasting, but I am curious as to best practices and to what other lager brewers are doing with their beers.

My lagers change slowly with time and develop a smoother, less hoppy profile. After two months or so in a keg (for average gravity beers) I don't notice much further change.

Give it taste and see what you think.

Back