Calling all scientists...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
*Dumb question alert*

Does anyone know if the boil off rate increases when the ambient temperature decreases?

Let's say my boil off rate at 70F is 1.5 gallons per hour.

Would I boil off more at say 50F?

I suppose that relative humidity plays a role in boil off as well.

*Dumb question alert*

Does anyone know if the boil off rate increases when the ambient temperature decreases?

Let's say my boil off rate at 70F is 1.5 gallons per hour.

Would I boil off more at say 50F?

I suppose that relative humidity plays a role in boil off as well.

Humidity would be the most important factor here, and 50F does not have the ability to hold near as much water as 70F. Even 80% humidity at 50 is going to be less water in the air than 50% at 70F.

Nope, ambient temperature won't affect it. Humidty will but only a little bit, and not only during the boil. Ambient pressure will be the big determinant.

Boil off rate is dependant on a huge number of parameters. This thread may shed some light on it.

To answer the OPs question directly... no, all other parameters being equal, boil off would actually decrease in colder air temperatures. Only problem is, when the air temperature drops, other parameters are usually affected. Read the above thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nope, ambient temperature won't affect it. Humidty will but only a little bit, and not only during the boil. Ambient pressure will be the big determinant.

absolutely correct. Barometric pressure will be the only effect and still not noticable unless you are in NewOrleans then travel to Denver for your next brew day.

Back