DME to LME conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbrit

Reaction score
I realise that this thread has probably been started a thousand times but i have a few questions.

My recipe calls for 6.6lbs of DME. My local BOP will sell me LME in Litres. From what i can gather 1 pound of water is equivalent to 2.2 liters. Using this math i would require 3 liters of LME.
However, LME is much more dense than water (obviously) so i'm sure that the amount required should be lower.
I am a first time brewer and would appreciate some feedback here
Thanks

Thanks for the response but i guess what im asking is how do i fugure out how many liters of the LME i will need, since that is how he is selling it to me. I guess if i could find out how much 1 liter of the LME weighs i might be in business

just remember, LME is 20% water
1#LME *.8 = .8#DME
1# DME /.8 = 1.25# LME

don't convert weight to volume, as different types of DME and LME will have different dencity. Just stick to weight, and if there is a question, bring your scale.

Actually, 1 liter water weighs about 2.2 lbs, but whatever math you were using was correct. n For 6.6 lbs LME, you need 3 liters.

-a.

Back