PLEASE HELP! Frustrated beginner....Odd smell, not rotten but fruity, banana? esther

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominator6

Reaction score
So I turn to the experts for advice. I have brewed 6 batches total including this one. In all 6 batches I get an off flavor, fruity kinda, banana-ish off flavor and smell. I just went to dry hop this ale and it has the same DAMN smell. I am VERY frustrated w/this and don't want to give up brewing but REFUSE to waste money on batches of so-so beer. HELP PLZ!

- I've tried eliminating this in the following ways:- 1st batch was hefe, LME 3 gal boil w/tapwater, dry yeast
- ALL others were amber/pale ales but produced the same off flavor.
- I've switched between dry to liquid yeast - same result
- I also tried using a starter for the dry yeast as opposed to just sprinkling in
- DME to LME - same result
- I've went from 3gal to 5 gal boil same result
- Changed my cleaners from bleach to oxy-clean(0 chlorine) - same result
- Cleaned what I feel is a little more thorough
- Bottled one batch as opposed to kegging which I normally do - same result
- I use a plastic fermenter 7.5gal for primary and glass for secondary (plastic doesn't seem to have any scratches for bacteria growth.)
- My friend that used to live in the neighborhood used tap water and bottled and his turned out great, no off flavor so I think it's something I'm doing.

I've heard that using the entire liquid yeast packet and having a very active fermentation could cause this. I've also noticed that most of my fermentations only last at most 24 hrs of good activity. Temp in my room is usually constant at 68-72degrees and I keep it out of light.

Please help w/some suggestions, I really want to make this work and produce GOOD beer.

TIA

"Frustrated Brewer"

From Palmer (hope it helps!):
Estery / Fruity
Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys. Esters are produced by the yeast and different yeast strains will produce different amounts and types. In general, higher fermentation temperatures produce more esters. Next batch, contrive to lower the fermentation temperature by a few degrees.

I would like to know what your fermentation temps are. You say the room is 68-72, but what is the temp of the beer? It can easily be 10 degress warmer than ambient temp. Do you have a fermometor on your fermenter?

Based on your description, I am betting that fermentation temps are the culprit. Try putting your next batch in a cooler place. If none is available, try putting it in a large rubbermade container with water and frozen soda bottles.

I ferment most of my ales aaround 64F. Not the room at 64, the beer.

I think banana esters are usually from yeast or temp problems.
You might try a little cooler fermentation temperature but the 68-72 doesn't seem excessive to me.

I see you've tried more than one yeast, but it might be helpful to know which you've tried.

Good luck. I'll wait for the experts with you.:D

I'd guess your fermentation temps were too high.

+1

My first several batches all smelled like get on da boat, da banana boat. Once I started controlling my fermentation temps (search for "son of fermentation chiller") this smell stopped completely. How long are you letting your fermentations go?

Also, Revvy has some good advice here.

When I do check the fermometer it is usually 68-72 but I don't check it at night and it very well could go lower, or higher w/the heater kicking on. It is an old house and I know that temps fluctuate quite a bit.

Did anyone mention fermentation temps yet? LOL

Try to keep it in the low 60s, at least for the first 5 days. I bet you'll see an improvement in flavor.

Did anyone mention fermentation temps yet? LOL

:)

+1 and ditto on ferment temps. I just kegged a SF lager that had the same problem. I have just let it sit for four months in the carboy in my cold basement and it seems to have mellowed out. I also decided to dry hop it in the keg. Hopefully the bulk aging and dry hopping will make it a good beer.

I've heard that using the entire liquid yeast packet and having a very active fermentation could cause this.

Wait a minute. What do you mean by this?!? Do you mean "only" using one packet of liquid yeast? Because really, whenever you use liquid yeast you should use a starter to boost the numbers of yeast that get pitched.

I could be your "house flavor". Iv been brewing for over 20 years off and on. I Friend's home brews come out better then mine every time. We all think its something in my house that's lurking in the air and getting into the wort before I put the air lock on. This may be your situation.

Lambic beer brew houses have micro organisms such as certain yeasts living in the rafters. They set the wort out in an open container and the little guys have at it.

Wait a minute. What do you mean by this?!? Do you mean "only" using one packet of liquid yeast? Because really, whenever you use liquid yeast you should use a starter to boost the numbers of yeast that get pitched.

Yes, just the liquid yeast. I haven't used a starter(ie, 1300ml of water,etc..) with the y-yeast. I just get the smack pack or container and smack or shake up and pour.

I'll try the basement and lower temp thing. I'm not going to touch it until 1 Apr or so for a going away party, so the basement it'll go. I already dry hopped it so maybe that will tame it a little and offset what I smelled! Thx for the quick replies, great to have such a good community to go to!

Yes, just the liquid yeast. I haven't used a starter(ie, 1300ml of water,etc..) with the y-yeast. I just get the smack pack or container and smack or shake up and pour.

I'll try the basement and lower temp thing. I'm not going to touch it until 1 Apr or so for a going away party, so the basement it'll go. I already dry hopped it so maybe that will tame it a little and offset what I smelled! Thx for the quick replies, great to have such a good community to go to!

Next time you use liquid yeast, make sure you use a starter (all you need is 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups water) because usually just adding the liquid yeast is underpitching (sometimes by a large amount). One of the side effects of underpitching is stressed yeast, which causes fruity flavors (esters).

Make sure you stay at the lower range of the optimum temperature range of the yeast strain you're using. I usually ferment most ales in the 60-64 degree range, unless I'm specifically looking for some esters.

I'll try the lower temps, basement I think. I'll also try using a starter w/the liquid yeast and I might just do a blowoff on my glass carboy to actually see how it's doing. That just takes a hose from the glass carboy to a pitcher of water, right?

Back