Old Boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 197168

Reaction score
Having lived in the Old Dart (England) some time back, and having worked in a pub as all good Aussies have, I was lucky enough to develop a taste for some good English beers. While us Australians had the choice of fizzy water and the odd one or two decent beers, England's "real ale" scene was booming. I remember going to festivals with the pub and being able to "sample" from a hundred or so beers. Good times.

It was then I was introduced to Theakstons Old Peculiar. What a great drop! There is so much going on with it, yet it is subtle. So, I was pretty excited when I saw a recipe for "Old Treacle Mine" in Brewing Classic Styles. I have pretty much taken that recipe and tweaked it.

The results are AMAZING! This brew is still in the fermenter as I want to give it some heat for the Brett C to kick in and it is winter here at the moment. Just sampling from the fermenter is a total pleasure. It's perfectly balanced! The treacle fits beautifully. So much so that you wouldn't know what it was if you didn't know it was in the recipe.

My partner is not really a beer person, therefore I don't really expect much from her in the way of constructive feedback. I gave her a taster of this straight from the fermenter. Her response was that she thought that it had a very sophisticated flavour and a real depth to it. I couldn't have put it better myself.

5000.00 g Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) 57.3 %
380.00 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) 4.4 %
110.00 g Black (Patent) Malt (1300.0 EBC) 1.3 %
3000.00 g Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) 34.4 %
240.00 g Treacle (197.0 EBC) 2.7 %
70.00 g Magnum [11.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 61.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml]
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Claussenii (White Labs #WLP645) [50.28 ml]

Mashed at 152F
Primary for 7 days (WLP007 works fast)
Secondary for 7 more days then added the Brett C

A few notes -

I used the extract because I am a BIABer, and anything too big I don't really get the efficiency. If you can mash such a big grain bill, then go for it.

The WLP007 is a winner for this beer IMHO. The beer is BIG, and you need something attenuative to get it down to size (albeit with a monster alcohol content).

The brett C was added after fermentation had completed. I'm aiming for subtle brett (as brett C normally provides).

If you're not really into brett, the recipe could certainly hold its own without it. It would also be more to style.

I'll report back in a few months once this beer has had time to develop and I finally bottle it (and drink it). I'm really hoping someone else jumps on this as it is the best beer I have brewed (out of the fermenter). I have probably done about 50 all grains for reference.

Back